eSignal 11 memory usage

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Burns' Suit, Jul 9, 2012.

1. I'm not a very technical person when it comes to computers, so I'm hoping there are some knowledgeable ET'ers who wouldn't mind helping me out.

Within the last 6 weeks or so I've noticed that volume spikes completely freeze up my machine. Both my Physical memory and CPU usage are running at 99%. The most recent incident was Friday's job data. After I restarted eSignal I found my memory for running it was 4.2M k and it held those levels into noon.
    As a test I opened up my charts last night it started off around 300k and slowly climbed to around 3M by the open.
    Now I would of course expect a higher usage come open, but I only trade futures, so the only difference is the trade volume.
    My page only has 4 charts with 2 indicators a piece and a small watch list of 5 symbols.
    For comparison I opened up eSignal 10. It's page has 13 charts each with an indicator and a watch list with about 2 dozen symbols yet it runs at less than 100k.

Does the raise any red flags to anyone?
    I suppose an obvious question is what did I do differently 6 weeks ago and I'd say to eSignal nothing. For this reason I've considered the possibility of a virus, but my scans always come back clean and it does not seem to matter how man applications I open in addition to eSignal 11 the memory usage barely moves.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. I used to get the same problem in 10.X when I ran script process quite a bit of tick data, but I upgraded to a quad core i7 chip with DDR3 memory and I haven't had the problem since. Esignal is not a light application, you need a powerful desktop machine to enjoy it.

3. I'm running a Intel(R) Core (TM) i5 3.20 GHz.

Obviously not as strong as yours, but do you think it's inadequate for my charting needs?

4. FWIW right now I'm running eSignal 11 with 10 times the number of windows you have open on a 7 year old XP machine with Pentium 4 2.80 GHz. The CPU usage runs between 2 and 12% as it usually does. In addition I have IB open.

By any chance are you still on build 2666? Some people had freezing problems with that build but it was fixed right away.
    You might want to update to SP2 and see if that helps.

http://forum.esignal.com/showthread.php?27329-eSignal-11-4-SP2-Released

5. Thanks, I was still running the May version. I remember when it released I had a convenient little pop-up within eSignal informing me a new version was available. I guess I falsely assumed it would do the same when there was something new again. I readily admit that I feel rather stupid for not checking this myself.
    I'll keep an eye on it, but I'm sure this will resolve the problem. Thanks again.