eSignal 10.5 is Now Available

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by JayF_eSignal, Jul 14, 2009.

1. JayF_eSignal

JayF_eSignal eSignal

I'm excited to introduce eSignal 10.5, our biggest release of the 10 series. There's a ton of new content such as extended intraday data, Hot Lists, Sector Lists and more. In addition, key performance improvements have been made for multi-core systems. Read on for more details!

eSignal
    Version 10.5.1656
    Size: 43.8Mb
    http://www.esignal.com/download

Release Notes
    ----------------------------------------
    Extended Intraday History
    We have extended our historical database in eSignal 10.5. This dramatically increases the amount of available intraday data way beyond the previous limits. This new service allows you to access 12+ years of minute-based bar data for North American equities and indices and 2+ years of North American, European and Asian futures, Forex and treasuries.

This is an especially great boon to those back testers who need large amounts of historical data to track the performance of their strategies across all types of market patterns and conditions. Additionally, support and resistance lines can now be established with a greater degree of accuracy, given that the recent market contraction has pulled back into levels not seen in many years.

[​IMG]

Hot Lists
    New to eSignal 10.5 are Hot Lists, powerful pre-built scans that look through the markets to identify the best trading opportunities and update them automatically every 30 seconds. There are the traditional gainers, losers and volume lists here but also unique scans, such as Unusual Volume, Most Volatile and Trade Rate Hot Lists, the last of which displays the fastest-trading stocks in the previous minute. This allows a momentum trader to see what is moving right now and react accordingly.

[​IMG]

Sector Lists
    The ability to list what symbols are in specific sectors is a powerful way to create specialized watch lists; this can now be done in eSignal 10.5 with just a few clicks. Much like an Autolist, the new Sector Lists will insert symbols into a quote window for additional sorting and analysis.

[​IMG]

New Data Fields
    In addition to adding numerous lists, we’re also adding 50+ new data fields, such as Short Interest, Float, 12 Month % Total Return, % Insider Owned, 200-Day Moving Average and many more.

Global Portfolio Window
    The portfolio window has long been a staple for eSignal clients wanting to track both the short- and long-term performance of their accounts. From the eSignal Pro side, money managers will often have multiple client accounts spread across multiple portfolio windows. In eSignal 10.5, there is now a way to compare the totals of multiple portfolio windows.

The new Global Portfolio Window automatically lists the key statistics of each portfolio in a window that can be placed anywhere on your PC’s display. In addition, a quick click on the name of the portfolio will bring that window into focus for further analysis.

[​IMG]

Multi-Threading Support
    We’ve taken the first step toward multi-threading eSignal by making Basic Studies and Advanced GET Studies run on their own thread. This should dramatically lower the number of times eSignal will freeze or lock during high volume periods by spreading the load of calculating technical indicators across multiple processor cores. For power users who are using many studies on a multi-core PC, this will have a very significant effect on the overall performance of eSignal.

MA of Studies
    Although it’s been possible via EFS for a long time, it’s now much easier to create a moving average of a study. When adding a moving average, you’ll want to click on the “Source” drop-down menu and choose the “Study” sub-menu. From there, you’ll be able to choose from any of our Basic Studies and create your MA of RSI, MACD, Volume, etc.

In the chart shown below, you’ll see that there’s an MA of an MA in the price area. In the study areas, there’s an MA of an RSI overlaid and scaled to the RSI; likewise, there’s an MA of a stochastic on top of a stochastic.

[​IMG]

Shared Symbol Lists
    eSignal can now tap into a new server that saves symbol lists remotely. This enables users to keep synchronized lists of stocks, futures, etc. from one page to another page or even from one PC to another. For instance, you could research your watchlist of symbols at night at your home PC and then have those same symbols on your work PC the following morning. Managing these lists is done via the quote window menu.

We are also working toward migrating many of our other products into this same server technology so that those using eSignal’s wireless companion product, QuoTrek, can synchronize their symbol lists between the PC and their mobile devices.

Forward / Yield Curves
    This window type is used by futures traders and broad market analysts to look at comparative data across multiple futures contracts. The Yield Curve is typically used to verify the “shape” of the economy…quite literally, actually. If a normal yield curve is present, long-term investors are rewarded with a higher rate of return, and short-term bonds will be a lower yield. When an inverted yield curve is present (higher yields for near-term), the market at large is in an unusual state, and a cautionary approach when investing is warranted.

Forward Curve charts provide the user with the ability to view pricing on forward contracts for commodities. Forward curves can act as unbiased predictors and allow the user to better see where the market is trending.

[​IMG]

Snap Quote Bar
    One of simplest ideas turns out to be one of the more useful…the Snap Quote Bar displays the quote for the symbol you type into it. It’s treated much like a standard toolbar and can be placed along the top or bottom of eSignal. It can even be free-floating to be put anywhere on your computer’s display.

The data fields can also be fully customized so that the exact data you want to be displayed is there at your fingertips. In addition, the symbol linking box is fully functional, allowing you to type a symbol into multiple windows at the same time you are getting a quote.

[​IMG]

Enhancements
    ----------------------------
    Style Templates for All Windows
    All windows within eSignal now have the ability to save their settings as different style templates. This enables you to take a specific setup of colors, fonts, fields, etc. and apply it to other existing windows without having to repeat the same setup process for each window.

Renaming Windows
    eSignal’s layout feature has allowed the renaming of windows for a long, long time…even before the “e” was added to eSignal. When Pages were introduced, one of the items of contention was that the windows themselves couldn’t be given a custom name to identify them in a unique way; that all changes with eSignal 10.5. With a quick menu selection (under File), you can change the name of practically any window type within a page.

2. That's really nice but when do we get 30 days of historical data as promised over a year ago?

3. JayF_eSignal

JayF_eSignal eSignal

Prof,

There's 12+ years of intraday history now available with eSignal 10.5. Perhaps you are referring to historical tick data for tick-based intervals (i.e. 133T, 5000V, etc.)? That will be coming in a second phase, later this year, and we'll go way beyond 30 days, out to 1-year.

4. How about good quality breadth symbols like QCharts used to have? Are those native to esignal yet?

5. trendy

trendy

Congratulations Jay, somehow Esignal has managed to make downloading 10 days of ES volume data even slower than it was before. It just took me 13 god damn minutes to d/l 10 days of ES volume data. 13 minutes? Are you kidding me? I hope I still have an earlier version of Esignal on one of my computers so I can get rid of this latest POS.

6. TsunTzu

TsunTzu

Good to see Yield curves in the software however is there any chance of being able to chart the benchmark curves for europe, uk and japan?

Your parent company IDC offer lots of fixed income products so why do you not carry quotes for 2's, 5's, 10's and 30 year benchmarks for the large trading blocks?

Also once you carry these quotes perhaps we can then chart such things as the euroblock 2-10s spread versus the us 2-10s spread etc etc.

Also if and when are you going to upgrade your eurex feed to the CEF Ultra plus instead of the legacy and outdated netted feed that you use?

Thanks in advance for a reply Jay.

7. still a clunky piece of shit that is overpriced with poor tech support . i run tradestation and esignal charts . if i wasnt already using trading software compatible only with esignal, i would have ditched it a long time ago

8. Yeah, I don't like the program either. QCharts is much more user-friendly. But ever since esignal bought them, improvements have been sloooooow.

9. v.10.4 was un-usable for me because a couple of
    stupid glitches found their way into the release.

When I put down a horizontal line, it's position
    (price!!!) would change if I changed the time frame!!!
    - Horizontal Lines, in practice, LOST their utility!
    I could no longer 'hide' the cursor window behind the
    scaling column on the right side of a chart, It could only
    appear somewhere in the body of the chart, obstructing
    the price-bar information.
    - Cursor Window, in practice, LOST it's utility!
    It is these kinds of thoughtless oversights which render
    (for me) your new releases as worthless.

Were these glitches fixed in 10.5?

10. Jay,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I'm talking about the historical tick data. Don't get me wrong, I like eSignal but the "second phase, later this year" rhetoric is getting old and worn out. This is the same song-and-dance I've been getting for 2 years NOW already.

#10     Jul 15, 2009