Escape from Dubai

Discussion in 'Economics' started by kxvid, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Ah. My mistake. My thoughts on the Canadian economy:

Positives

1. Strong financial system is the key to the entire strength of the economy. See Q3 earnings from BMO and CIBC, increased profits over last year and decreasing provisions for loan losses. Banks are just that, BANKS, not financial engineers coming up with complicated derivatives etc. and putting massive amounts of money at risk on "trading desks".

2. Abundant natural resources. Second largest proven oil reserves in the world. Largest Uranium company in the world (Cameco).

3. Tons of land, few people. Long term there is unlimited growth potential with proper immigration policies. Development in the north will be huge if natural resources become accessible as expected.

4. Increasing diversification of trade partners. Increasing trade with China and EU, recent trade agreements with Latin America as well.

Negatives

1. Rising Loonie will kill exports to USA, especially in Ontario. Partially offset in the West by higher oil prices due to the correlation between USD and oil prices.

2. Still way too dependent on the USA economy for exports. If USA fails to properly recover, Canada will also be hurt.

#21     Aug 26, 2009
  2. Mnphats

Mnphats

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I agree on your take under negatives point number 2. The reason I ask we are considering purchasing land around Thunder bay along the north shore, stunning beauty at a reasonable price compared to the Minnesota side.

#22     Aug 26, 2009
  3. dealmaker

dealmaker

Let's not be naive, Jaubert most likely was involved in criminal activity. Most ( not all ) soldiers of fortune do. Jaubert was an employee not an employer i.e. he had no money.

#23     Aug 26, 2009
  4. maxpi

maxpi

I knew some guys that started a business in Indonesia with an Indonesian partner.. when the partner wanted it all he had them arrested.. they got out ok but it cost their families some long coin to get it all arranged... I knew the guys, they weren't criminals at all, just young and perhaps naive US trained Engineers......

it's the inbred populations of the world where the xenophobia is worst btw.. in the ME they marry first and second cousins, Appalachia and European Royalty are very inbred too... probably the marxist style welfare ghettos of the US too, nobody knows who their dad is half the time...

#24     Aug 26, 2009
  5. Gorgeous area.

When are you thinking of purchasing? Many are predicting the CAD to be equal to USD come the end of the year, which would make it more expensive to wait. On the other hand, it could go the other way and be cheaper. Just something to think about.

#25     Aug 26, 2009
  6. Mnphats

Mnphats

In this particular area it is already close to equal, all things considered. The Minne side has already been built up for the last ten or so years. We have been looking for a year or two and hope to purchase late fall, as a vacation home.

#26     Aug 26, 2009
  7. Congrats on your ability to afford a vacation home. Please do post (maybe even a pic) when you make the purchase.

#27     Aug 26, 2009
  8. My preferred means of escape is in the lie-flat embrace of a sleeper seat in a Boeing 777-200LR :p

#28     Aug 26, 2009
  9. You're dealing with people who recycle their own excrement as fertilizer and have figured out how to eat monkey to where nothing of the monkey is left to trash.

These people on average save more than 50% of their income. Anyone who thinks the Chinese will buy stuff made elsewhere ( except for super luxury items) is insane.

#29     Aug 26, 2009
  10. Spot on. White man has no chance if they decide to go out there and get him. It's like japan, except X 10 + military.
    But I suspect they have no intention to remove US from no1 spot as it is really handy for them.

#30     Aug 26, 2009