ES - which trader categories drive volume

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by fader, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Have you looked at MarketDelta? How is TM different?

#31     Sep 6, 2005
  2. Market Delta doesn't have the size filtering ability, but Trademaven is also order entry (MD is not). If you like this kind of analysis it's worth spending significant time with both.

#32     Sep 6, 2005
  3. duard

duard

Thanks for the input.

BTW Chick's words not mine...

“Of all the different bits and pieces of information I have come across during my thirty-plus years of trading, without a doubt the one that has cost me more money than any other has been the Commitment of Traders data. This simple information is exquisitely tempting in its promise, but all too frequently destructive in its reality. However, if properly used, this data occasionally can be of some value."

Good Luck

#33     Sep 7, 2005
  4. fader

fader

i have considered this point at bit more – i am guessing that the typical daily volume is comprised of (1) “base” level of volume that routinely gets transacted by hedgers, institutional portfolio rebalancing, day traders (not just individuals but any day trading strategies etc.) and similar participants – this is the activity that takes places “in the ordinary course of business” so to speak and (2) there is a component which comes from directional/position players

when you see a surge in volume, the only logical place where it can come from is the second group above – since the non-directional, routine daily participants typically don’t, for example, just double their activity one day and then cut it back in half the next day (unless it’s a holiday, end of quarter/month and other “special” periods etc.) - of course what happens is that the typical daily participants “see” this increased volume and hence increase their activity as new price levels may require additional hedging, rebalancing, more trading strategies kick in with these new price levels etc. etc. – so an increase in volume has a snowballing effect in a way – but the initial phase of it, at least, must come from the directional/position players.

#34     Sep 7, 2005