ES - which trader categories drive volume

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by fader, Aug 31, 2005.

1. fader

fader

you are missing the point - i am not looking for a tick by tick account of who is doing what - i am trying to gain a better understanding of the overall structure of the market which i trade - i think that among all the discussions here on calling the next tops/bottoms etc. there is a dire lack of information/discussion aimed at understanding the underlying mechanisms which drive the movement of these markets.

#11     Aug 31, 2005
  2. No sir Mr. Fader, I am not missing the point.

Answer your question, and you will have a higher than 30% probability of a successful direction.

Driven movement is a good thing....Its the "exlax" of directional action and ease of movement. :)

Use your research to its advantage. Are we not here to make a profit and get an edge through the understanding you seek, or are you writing a paper, and not a trader?

Michael B.

Late edit to line 2

#12     Aug 31, 2005
  3. Something isnt right with that data. If you calculate the average lots per transaction, it doesnt fall into the corresponding range.

• es.xls
      File size:
      13.5 KB
      Views:
    #13     Aug 31, 2005
  4. This might seem like "confirmation of the obvious" but daytraders are responsible for transacting ~80% of daily trading volume. The large speculative and commercial traders are responsible for the ~15% of daily trading volume that MOVES THE MARKET. When the market is moving, then you know that the big boys are doing big numbers. That's all.

#14     Aug 31, 2005
  5. As of last summer at least, the largest single institutional participant in ES was CBOE market makers.

#15     Aug 31, 2005
  6. jim c

jim c

res..whats up. Thats a very interesting statistic and Im curious how you came up with that. I knew you had done some work in this area. I thought at one time you were tracking all the 50 lots? I think that was you? Anyway, just curious as to how you got your hands on this info. Unless its a secret of course. Still hoping to meet up with you guys for a beer one night. Thanks Jim

#16     Sep 1, 2005
  7. fader

fader

excellent catch indeed, it seems in my zealous quest for data, i had an incorrect formula - here's the revised table, seems more logical, the 50-500 blocks are the larger contributors - i am not happy to have posted the buggy stuff, but obviously happens sometimes, my practice is always to check the totals at least, obviously in this case should have done more.. - of course always good to have another pair of eyes to check over, thx.

#17     Sep 1, 2005
  8. fader

fader

thx for the comment - it seems logical to me but not "obvious" at all, i.e. would be great to hear how you can estimate these percentages (unless it's the 80/20 rule... :) )

#18     Sep 1, 2005
  9. Hey Jim,

I heard that statistic from Tom Sosnoff at ThinkorSwim.

Likewise re. drinks. :cool:

#19     Sep 2, 2005
  10. Dang, using the original supposedly wrong data, I devised a system that produced 79% winning trades and a 466% per annum ROI.

Now that the data has been discredited, I'll have to junk it.

#20     Sep 2, 2005