ES Volume criteria for entry

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Jdesey, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Jdesey

Jdesey

Does anyone use a volume rule for entry on ES? to date I have used a rule that I only enter if average volume for 2 bars is over the running average of 6 bars, I trade on a 3 minute chart. BUT, I am starting to think that I need to use absolute volume, not relative. So then I have to come up with some value for go or no-go. I am thinking as a starting point for volume to be at least 10,000 CT's per 3 minute bar to enter.

Thoughts and opinions please.

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Do you include SP volume?

3. Jdesey

Jdesey

no I do not, I have thought about that, but I figure that the volume on the futures runs independent of the SP volume, or at least sorta

4. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

If you are making decision based on volume and price movement of the ES, not inclduing the SP is removing some institutional flow.

5. Jdesey

Jdesey

ok,,, so let's say I include SP... is there an approx volume number I would look for to determine if I take the trade

6. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

That I can't tell you. I don't use volume like that, never have. Keep in mind that 1 SP = 5 ES.

murray t turtle likes this.
  7. Depending on your trading technique volume may have an imverse relationship. For example, volume may go lower at market turning points.

johnnyrock likes this.
  8. Sprout

Sprout

This is also true for the 3min.

This is the power of MADA.

Jdesey example.jpeg