ES Trend Following

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Bombardier, Sep 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Short @ 1163.50, Stop @ 1182.50

I closed out my previous long position for 29 points profit or $1,450 and reversed at the same price just now because I see a visible support broken at the 1162 area. A personal side note: I find weird how the market is stuck in this range (1100 to 1200) for 8 straight weeks now. Hopefully it will resolve soon.

Total profit since beginning: $7,775

#21     Sep 28, 2011
  2. drm7

drm7

Nice little journal. Good job on the last couple of trades. I may have missed this, but is this SIM or real money? What is your starting capital level?

I noticed that your charts cover all 23 hours of trading. How do you monitor your trades when you sleep? Resting orders? I see how you can leave a stop-loss in place, but what if you want to reverse? Do you use contingent orders?

#22     Sep 28, 2011
  3. drm7, I am trading real money and started with $10k on IB. But I find the starting capital rather irrelevant, you just have to be able to cope with the monetary swings due to the leverage in futures.

The charts cover all trading hours of futures and they're crucial to determine support and resistance levels. A hard stop is enough to maintain my active position and I am fortunate to be living in Europe where I can react while the U.S. is still asleep :p I just need to set stops to trigger outside RTH, as well. So far I have not run into any problem of missing a setup because S&R levels form in the course of many many hours. It gives us time to set price alerts should something significant happen at night.

#23     Sep 28, 2011
  4. I set the stop lower to 1163.50, the peak created yesterday below resistance, because I figure that I have no objective reason to stay bearish beyond that.

#24     Sep 29, 2011
  5. Bought @ 1163.75, Stop @ 1152

My position was stopped out at 1163.50, which makes it a breakeven trade (actually a small loss when considering commissions). Price is now blasting above the resistance at 1162 again which is why I bought with a stop at the trough created premarket at 1152.

Total profit since beginning: $7,775

#25     Sep 29, 2011
  6. My long position was not a success this time. It stopped out at 1152 with a loss of $587.50. I'm looking to buy again when we see a good break of 1162 where the fight for control is taking place. It already seems like bears are going to lose. Price found strong support at the former resistance I drew in a few days ago (around 1136). Just interesting to observe.

Total profit since beginning: $7,187.50

#26     Sep 29, 2011
  7. Bought @ 1092.00, Stop @ 1071.50

After a few days of inactivity, I finally found the pattern I was looking for to enter a new position. A horizontal resistance area was forming intraday at around 1093 which eventually broke near EOD. I took the opportunity to buy with a stop at the low based prior to the breakout.

#27     Oct 4, 2011
  8. To kick a dead horse, ES was 1115 when you posted this signal... Maybe you're getting pageviews anyway, but people would take more of an interest if you posted prior to or during trades, rather than 23 ES handles away.

#28     Oct 4, 2011
  9. I very much welcome a medium on which I can discuss my thoughts in real-time with fellow trend traders. I find this forum unsuitable for discussions that at times requires immediate reaction in a dynamic market. What's more, I need to write and annotate charts here which consumes time. Open for suggestions.

#29     Oct 4, 2011
  10. With the "HIGH FREQUENCY" of your trades I can see how you don't have time to post in real-time.....

#30     Oct 4, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.