ES Trade Example Today

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Flashboy, Apr 27, 2004.

1. NihabaAshi,

Thanks for your reply to my previous question relating to tick vs. raw volume.

Perhaps you would also help me with issue arising from your last post.

I've no problem with the idea of a price/indicator divergence or a price/volume divergence, but I'm struggling with the idea of a price only divergence. I know you've indicated that you don't want to put this on a plate for people - and I respect that - but can you give me a clue?

Thanks,
    1c

#21     Apr 29, 2004
  2. I've got to learn to be more patient..

As it is I"m trying to pick a bottom on a market that is trending down..and I'm way too anxious to get in..

Luckily I got my money that I lost back.. but I did have to double up to do it.. very dangerous I know..

I'm too hell beant on catching reversals... I wanted to get short at 14:05 est.. but I never pulled the trigger..

why is it its easier for me to pull the trigger against the trend that it is when its with the trend..??

#22     Apr 29, 2004
  3. forgot to post the chart

#23     Apr 29, 2004
    #24     Apr 29, 2004
  5. Awash

Awash

Flashboy,

Why? Well, it’s easier to pull the trigger against the trend when you’ve conditioned yourself to do it, especially if that’s your main strategy. At one time, my only signal was against the trend via a price-indicator divergence setup.

After losing more than winning, I realized I needed to research other ways to be successful on trend days. Next, I experimented with breakouts and other continuation patterns hoping to gain a foot-hole. I simulated for a month or two with these new signals and completely avoided taking divergence setups hoping this would condition and train myself not to go counter-trend. Guess what? It worked for me. I'm finally winning more than I'm losing!!!!

Nevertheless, I still play trend reversal setups but the other patterns has helped tremendously. Whatever happens, I wish you the best!! Keep researching and posting/searching this site as there’s tons of good info here.

#25     Apr 30, 2004
  6. johncool

johncool

Hi Grob,

I have found your chart to be very helpful, and I tried to papartrade it on Thursday. I made about 7 pts during the fast trend, and lost it all during the slower trend. I am a beginner and I lost on most of my days and my papertrade account show -$14,000. I will be extremely grateful if you could answer my question.
    1) It is possible for you to attach a trade log of the 54 trades that you have made showing the times and prices traded ? I would like to plot it on my chart to learn where you have entered the trade. If you do not wish to show it here, for whatever reason, I respect you decision. However, could you please kindly consider PM it to me ?
    2) What is the best way to display PRV (pro-rata volume) if I have IB TWS, QuoteTracker ? I do not have Qchart, or ESignal. Can I use Excel to calculate it ? How do you calculate the PRV ?

Thanks again for your great contribution

#26     Apr 30, 2004
  7. If you subscribe to Qcharts you can install something called qlink
    which allows you to link live data into excel. It is very handy.

I compute PRV *constantly* for each 5 minute period. Excel
    figures out if volume is up or down since the last bar and the
    pace (on a pro rata basis). I also do stretch/squeeze and other
    bar characteristics -- it's all color coded. It's a great cheat
    sheet and the info is available at a glance.

A note on qlink... you have to be sure that the server qlink
    connects to is the same one your qcharts is connected to.

http://elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31578&perpage=6&pagenumber=1

• grob.jpg
      File size:
      84.5 KB
      Views:
    #27     Apr 30, 2004
  8. johncool

johncool

Great job BA_Trader.
    Your spreadsheet look impressive, though I don't understand every column on it. Would you mind attach the spreadsheet ? I will study your code to see how each column is done. I believe TWS supplies daily volume in realtime via DDE. Perhaps I can adapt your spreadsheet to work with TWS.

From your experience, how do those indicators work in real life ? Particular the stretch/squeeze indicator ? Do they work great and what is your favorite indicator on the spreadsheet ?

#28     Apr 30, 2004
  9. It would be much easier to discuss the columns you are
    wondering about -- the calculations are very simple... the qlink
    references really junk up the code and the thing is completely
    worthless without a live qlink connection (think all 0s).

I'm really using it as a belief honing tool more than an indicator.
    You can get everything on the spreadsheet by looking at the PV
    chart... stretch/squeeze is the only thing that takes some doing.

The biggest aha moment I've had with that spreadsheet is that
    fast paced trends are extremely easy. I was told this but now
    I believe it. Medium and slow paced trends will have hitches
    and 'new pt3s' that require frequent (for me) protective action.
    I'm simply not ready for this. After observing the spreadsheet
    I can cut out the wishful thinking and simply sideline and wait for
    fast trends.

Anyway -- I'm happy to discuss any aspect of the spreadsheet
    that you want to know more about.

JT

#29     May 1, 2004
  10. Kap

Kap

I use something frightingly similar - via esignal, with some vba code capturing 3 minute segments and conditional statements colour coding cells.

Do you have 5 min ontime macros running to capture periods or does your qlink dde allow u to slect periods via cell formulas alone.

Tia, Kap.

#30     May 1, 2004