ES Tape Reading 101

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by TriPack, Oct 15, 2003.

1. TriPack,

You certainly started an interesting thread but I admit that I am at a complete loss in trying to come up with even the start of a theory. As was already clear from the previous thread many different opinions abound, ignoring the obviously absurd stuff.

Would it be fair to advance that we really do not know much about this? As has also been pointed out, things at this bid/ask level happen at too low a level to make sense of it in a straightforward manner - not unlike molecular kinetics perhaps.

Did anybody hear already about analyzing multilevel bid/ask data? Could it be worthwile to look into this?

I will keep on reading. Thanks to all.

nononsense

#61     Oct 19, 2003
  2. Ditch

Ditch

Would anybody know what would be the ordersize, that meets the 80-20 rule (20% of the orders that make for 80% of the total volume). I've been trying to download TS-data from Ensign in Excel to figure this out, but i can't get it downloaded till yet. Thx in advance.

#62     Oct 20, 2003
  3. good question Ditch. Tripack obviously it matters most whether bulls or bears are more willing to hit each other (hit the other side with nice fat orders). Trades move the price, not the people sitting on best bid/offer. Sounds simple like duh but actually it's something to be realized. Another thing I noticed is... actually what you noticed too:

When there's a state of equilibrium but gradually the price gets to a level where's there's a huge imbalance like say we got got 38.25x38.50. equal size on say 120x200. Now say it does a downtick 38x38.25. but now there's 1200bid x 120offer. What tends to happen is.. the bid gets crushed. then there's successive huge bids that get crushed, while there's small size on the offer. this can go on for 3-4 ticks easy (ie a 1point move). Usually when I get into a trade and I see that I just hit the "huge size" I know I'm good in the very near term.

#63     Oct 20, 2003
  4. I use a tick chart showing each trade(graphed as equivolume) and the bid & ask levels. Many times all the trades will be at one price level, yet the bid & ask will fluctuate above and below that price every other second. To me it has the feel of a large order being worked. Not that it's alternating buying & selling every other second. Can anyone elucidate?

Another anomaly,usually at a V bottom. Price will pivot on low volume with trade at bid. Then next 3 or 4 uptick trades will also be at bid, and low volume. Finally traders realize price is moving higher an start hitting the ask. An engineered pivot?

I've been trying to analyze T&S data with QuantStudio(smartquant.com).

#64     Oct 20, 2003
  5. My view is that it often happens when the bid and ask move on the Mini but they don't on the big contract, so it gets arbed back. It may be a large order in the big contract that is being worked that prevents the Mini from staying at that level. It might just be the normal action of price discovery before the S&P confirms the change in spread levels. Also, the size going through could just be the result of arbitrage. No way to know for sure...

#65     Oct 20, 2003
  6. I guess I really asked the wrong question. Important is kind of vague. The question should have been, which side of the order is most influential in moving prices from level to level. And as traderkay mentions, it has to be the ones who are hitting the bids or offers, rather than the ones who are hoping to get hit.

My guess is that over 80% of the bids/offers are done by arbs. I would also guess that if you took the max # of contracts on each bid/ask level before it changed, that only a small percentage (20-30%) of the bid/ask size that got eaten, actually had orders filled. Maybe I'm way off on this #. In other words, the vast majority of bids/offers are pulled before they can be executed. And I'd say that most of the pulling is done by arbs.

Arbs are in the game to capture the spread - 1 or at most a few ticks. When they go for more than that they get into directional trading. IIRC, metooxx said that they scratch on about 40-50% of their trades. Which means that they get a fill, and either the spread moves against them or the size on their side of the spread starts to evaporate, and they hit whoever is still left.

Now the interesting part is that when the bid/ask level moves, the arbs are responsible for helping to set the new level, in conjunction with the directional players who are both placing orders to set the spread as well as hitting orders on the other side. The arbs decide when they have a chance to make the spread without the bid/ask moving back to the prior level. When they feel they can safely do this, they start putting up some limit orders, which help to solidify the change in spread level.

Without that group of orders that comes into a new bid/ask level to hold the bid in (in an upmove) or hold the ask in (in a downmove), the market orders going through won't succeed in making a lasting change. So it seems to be a type of co-dependency going on, a give and take a tug of war as it moves up and down through the various bid/ask levels.

That's my view anyway.

#66     Oct 20, 2003
  7. i noticed ES trading is VERY orderly. Meaning very little faking on bids/offers. If you see 1000 cars bid then the price upticks and the downticks back to that bid, you almost always see the same 1000 cars there +/-. Same with offers at resistance: they actually have to get obliterated with buy orders on the T&S, ONLY THEN will they lift. OK maybe 50% have to be hit and the other 50% will cancel. Seeing GLOBEX in action is an amazing sight. It's free market in purest form.

#67     Oct 21, 2003
  8. Torge

Torge

Hi,just read your tapereading thread.(ES Tapereading 101)

You wrote that the pros try to confuse the "normal trader" with hiding their intentions.
    But why do you use Tapereading then....?

2. You wrote ,most of the pro´s use market orders.
    You as a volume scalper,do you use them too?

Thank you for answering

#68     Apr 20, 2004
  9. FWIW. All futures markets "follow" their respective "cash" counterparts. This pair of values is "offset". It turns out that their is a slight twist to this "following". The DOM shows how cash is operating. even more fortunate for us all is that you can watch the "smart money" "follow" the cash. The small distinct group of really skilled and excellent traders "show".

This means that you can pick off the tripak 4. just before it comes to pass. By having this, you can do the "spiking" of the tripak 4. most easily because you see it coming.

If you monitor with indicators as well, usually, you can best know when a traverse is also and end of one of the four trends of the day. If a day starts down (it will be a traverse where the ends of each bar forms the traverse from right to left.) Each bar will end in a "spike" of a high volatility bar. That known, oyou are prepared for a "W" day; if up at the beginning, then it will be an "M" day. You can use tripak's 4. to do about 4 or five traverses per trend. This is about 20 plus trades a day give or take.

#69     Apr 21, 2004