ES or NQ when starting out?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by EMini-Player, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Momento

Momento

ES's spillages for starters might be overwhelming.

NQ is the way

#21     Jul 19, 2003
  2. Would the same apply to ES, i.e. SPY then ES ?

-FastTrader :)

#22     Jul 19, 2003
  3. nitro

nitro

Yes - unconditionally.

nitro

#23     Jul 19, 2003
  4. Lovelitera

Lovelitera Guest

One should always go for the market where the fills (liquidity) are better.
    Over time this adds up to a lot of $.

#24     Aug 1, 2003

5. Ditch-

I completely concur. I trade Nq exclusively throughout the day.
    However, I have been monitoring the YM against the movement I see in the Nq. Definitely more follow through in the YM, that you might expect to see in the Nq. However, on a day-to-day basis measuring at a ratio of 25tick YM to 100tick Nq you can scalp yourself silly fading order flow in each direction on the YM.

Don't have a through understanding of market dynamics yet of the CBOT, but the guy I'm training now to daytrade perferred a smaller contract size. So, I set him up on that and he is making consistent money off the YM 1-4 contracts just doing what I describe above.

Today was a perfect example of that relationship. As I look for trading opportunities somedays between the signals I get in trading the Nq, when market velocity decreases substantially. Aka every *ucking day between the hours of 9:00am-11:00am PST, some people call it lunch time, I call it Dead Market.

However, as the Nq is sitting on its hands and not budging in either direction at say a double top with your Stoch/RSI maxed in overbought and higher-reference frame is creating Neg. Dvg., the happy little YM is fading the buyers back down to the mean.

I've been considering trading the YM during lunch in a ultra scalp mode. 1-contract, to get realtime fill statistics accumulated.

Nq's contractionary and consolidation days are cruesome to wait through. Then some dumb *ss drops his *ucking twinkie on the order entry keyboard and you get your head handed to you early in the trading day.

Oh well such is daily trading life...

-momo

#25     Aug 1, 2003