ES or NQ when starting out?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by EMini-Player, Jul 11, 2003.

1. No matter which you pick to trade you'd better watch them all.

#11     Jul 11, 2003
  2. I currently don't trade any e-mini, and still watch the ES and NQ for a heads-up on overall market direction.

-FastTrader :)

#12     Jul 11, 2003
  3. Trading the ES, NQ and YM I did not find any specific characteristics for NQ (I'm sure some will correct me if I'm wrong, and please do).

Regarding the ES and YM, it really depends on your style.

If you are going for scalps, YM is the one for you, it's more volatile, moving around much more and the fills are usually quick (the quickest of the three). You can cash in very quickly if you are going for small profits on each trade or get stopped out very quickly on the other hand.

On the other hand, ES is slower, has a lot of liquidity and fills are slower. Many day traders and funds keep watch and trade it through the day. If your timeframe is longer (that might be even when trading of the 1 min chart) and it's important for you to have safer stops and less choppy invironment, go with ES.

Regarding NQ.... well, I don't have good experience with it to either side. Not a lot of liquidity and fills are still slow many times. And again someone ca correct me regarding NQ.

TM Trader

#13     Jul 11, 2003
  4. bronks

bronks

For correlation. The ever-so-slight lead of the ES over the NQ at times. Makes for a terrific entry. Sometimes. Also good for market strength indication.

So true man... so true

#14     Jul 11, 2003
  5. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

I don't see that it's necessary to choose. All three instruments tend to vary together. When they don't, it's usually best to stand aside. But, generally, they do.

As to trading, this suggests that, for example, the ES and NQ should be traded together, not simultaneously, but "off" each other.

Let's say, for example, that you have a breakout (however you define "breakout") in the NQ. Since you've missed it, you have a choice either of chasing it, or of setting up and transmitting an order for a like move in the ES. If the NQ BO fails and the ES doesn't trigger, you've just saved yourself some money. If the NQ BO succeeds, so likely will the ES, in which case you are in at the point of BO. Or vice-versa. Following both also aids an exit strategy.

#15     Jul 12, 2003
  6. gwnorth

gwnorth

I'll agree with Ditch YM is a good trade and what seems to be is ES tracks pretty close to YM. Lots of good info on the CBOT as well including their after market seminars. Check it out.
    10,000 order wonder what that guy was thinking about maybe trying to save the farm from the ex.

Stay Healthy

#16     Jul 12, 2003
  7. I trade NQ exclusively. ES is a bit too fast for me. I am a fairly new trader though, to put things in perspective. Have been daytrading for 7 months. I am profitable though.

I go for a lot of scalps right now and ES moves too fast for me at times. I feel like NQ allows you to watch it and make decisions before it blasts off. With ES, the blast off can come while you are still thinking.

That's just me though. I strongly agree with a couple of the posts stating to watch for yourself and find the one (ES,NQ,YM) that moves right for YOU.

I always watch the correlation between ES and NQ.

#17     Jul 12, 2003
  8. nqoos

nqoos

#18     Jul 19, 2003
  9. nitro

nitro

I would stay away from YM as a day trade during the summer until it fully matures.

nitro

#19     Jul 19, 2003
  10. nitro

nitro

QQQ, then NQ.

nitro

#20     Jul 19, 2003