ES M8 is horrible

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by invertedCurve, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Agree - intraday= total crap - upped my coffee consumption and watching dvds to make it bearable. There are however some other options when intraday trades suck:
    -initiate a vertical index option spread, leg this into a butterfly
    -buy 2 ER2, sell 3 ES during volatility breakouts or 1:1 for more risk
    -daytrade gold futures, $100/pt
    -buy 1 ZI, sell 1 ZG (silver-gold futures spread) during volatility breakouts- be careful to choose the most liquid months, not always the same
    -trade bidu & goog options or bidu/goog option spread (good lately)

-Other spreads & margin can be found at:

http://www.cme.com/html.wrap/wrappedpages/clearing/pbrates/PBISHomePage.htm?h=2

just some avenues I have explored net positive on all so far

#11     Apr 8, 2008
  2. Have to agree. Was trading 10 cars then 6 now down to two cars and I barely stay awake for it all. Today was the last straw. Gonna sit it out until this thing straightens out. Looks like it may take awhile.

#12     Apr 8, 2008
  3. A couple questions on the spreads you mention. For example, on the ER2/ES, why would you only go long ER2 and short ES, and not vice versa?

How do you chart that spread? I would assume the spread oscillates up and down, and I would think you'd want to go short ER2/long ES at one end of range, and long at the other end of range.

#13     Apr 8, 2008
  4. yeah, I didn't mean to imply one direction only. Like anything else, it take study & practice, no free lunch. You can experiment first by using the spy/iwm options and also the gld/slv etf or mini-gold & silver futures.

#14     Apr 8, 2008
  5. ammo

ammo

trade big oil from the short side ,tommorrow anyway,$10 a penny,put in a 15 cent stop and put in a sitting bid below, that moves like you wouldn't believe, very important to have your stops in, they have to be mrkt if touched stops or they won.t work,you'll get traded thru and not filled, if you have stops in,your risk will be limited,it can flip up and down .70 to 1.20 in a heartbeat, you catch one of the winners 3 times a day and limit your losses it won't be dull.

#15     Apr 8, 2008
  6. That makes sense.

How do you chart the relationships? Do you have a program that will chart the ratio of the two instruments?

#16     Apr 8, 2008
  7. rjv27

rjv27

I hope so, the volume (I think only like 4 5min ES bars have been over 40k volume) has be dreadful. I've been taking the opportunity over the past few days to take care of some personal business.

#17     Apr 8, 2008
  8. DWV

DWV

The ES was like this almost everyday in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 - most people have been spoiled by the increased volatility over the past 12 months.

#18     Apr 8, 2008
  9. thinkorswim. I have emailed them though, the realtime number is correct but something is wrong with the recorded high & low.

you just put

100*/ER2M8-50*/ESM8
    in the symbol window i.e. dollar/pt*symbol and it charts it in actual dollars.

#19     Apr 9, 2008
  10. this trade gets worse everyday how many hours did it sit in 4 point range! Why won't big players let it go somewhere? I guess they would rather churn 1000 lots in a 2-3 handle range. I am glad it finally broke I only waited about 5 hours to take out 4 handles!

#20     Apr 11, 2008