ES Journal - 2019/2020

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Buy1Sell2, Dec 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NQurious

NQurious

I came to running a bit later in life, not that I'm an old man (no matter what my kids might tell ya'). Got diagnosed with T2 Diabetes about five years ago or so and decided I didn't want to be on medications the rest of my life, and I certainly didn't want to be one of those guys who drops from a heart attack and everyone at the funeral whispers "so young ... how does something like this happen? His kids are still young. How terrible." My doctor suggested some diet changes and jogging.

My first day as a "runner" I confidently put on my new running shoes, did some jumping jacks, and headed out on the road. About a quarter mile later I hit The Wall lol. Talk about humbled!

I am not up into those numbers like you or @SPYgrain. But I'm now doing two runs per day - morning wake up and evening after dinner (just got back in now), and each one is now over 5 miles. I average 10 to 11 miles/day between the two. My goal this summer is to train in order to run my first half marathon at a local charity event in September.

Truly an addictive activity. Yesterday morning it was pouring rain, the roads had two inches of cold running water or more in some places, and while I'm a fair weather golfer, I wouldn't miss one of my runs - rain or shine.

In market related news, the invisible hand of the market place is once again in mark up mode, at least temporarily, unless it reverses:rolleyes:.

#4591     Apr 21, 2019
    Jaydom, nenuser, speedo and 1 other person like this.
  2. speedo

speedo

You can easily do a half on 5 miles a day. 60 or 70 a week and you can do a whole. Careful with the two a day's, it's easier to get injured and to burn out. Better 5-7's during the week and a long run on the weekend. BTW, I've always loved running in the rain. My no-deal days were over 100 in the shade, winds over 35 mph, lightening or ice on the ground...other wise, bring it on.

#4592     Apr 21, 2019
    NQurious likes this.
  3. NQurious

NQurious

Interesting ... I have to admit that when it comes to running I am completely self-informed. With trading and diet and golf I've had mentors, instruction, etc. With running I have pretty much been winging it, so I am open to advice and suggestions.

So let's say I go 7 miles once a day during the week. I'm sure I can do 7 no problem. You then say "a longer run on the weekend" ... do you mean one long run, or a longer run both Saturday and and Sunday?

That would be something ... but I'm definitely will settle for a half by September at this point. I am doing 60 to 70 a week right now. BTW, I'm with you as far as the 100 in the shade, lightening, or ice on the ground. I have not let the wind stop me yet, but now that you mention it just about every time I've gone out in those conditions I kinda wish I hadn't.

#4593     Apr 21, 2019
  4. speedo

speedo

You are doing already enough miles for a comfortable half. I would cut back on the two a days, 3 or 4 7milers during the week and a 12-15 miler once on the weekend. Take a day off if not two. If you want to run a faster race, throw in some tempo runs during the week...alternate a fast stretch followed by a recovery stretch or hit a hill hard and recover on the down slope. One of those a week is fine. The weekend long run should be at an easy pace.

#4594     Apr 21, 2019
    NQurious likes this.
  5. SPYgrain

SPYgrain

Oh man, you guys are bringing back the memories.. see if you can find a group to do a long (15m+) run for weekend..very enjoyable!
    yes, the mileage - you are plenty. marathon training was only 70/week for me..I would do pyramid weeks 6,9,12,9,6 -m-f..18 Sat, off Sun..did 2-a-days only 3 per week (3 morn, 6 aft)..if Wed, 3 morn, 9 aft..
    ..man, you got it going on, NQ !!!
    what's really fun is triathlon training - you do 2 activities per day..it is most assuredly a zen activity for those who catch the running bug..

I had found a group of guys all faster than me to train with - best days of life !
    Good for you beating the diabetes !!

my friend founded USA Fit - if interested, see if they're in your town .. way to meet runners..

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    #4595     Apr 21, 2019
    NQurious and speedo like this.
  6. glazier

glazier

SS 7690 NQ
    stop at 94

#4596     Apr 22, 2019
    NQurious likes this.
  7. glazier

glazier

out here at 7684.25 +5.75