ES future to ETF

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by osho67, Aug 6, 2007.

1. FGBS

FGBS

LMAO!!! Come on JJ for someone of your intellect and stature, that can spot that blowing 1/3 of your account isn't the way forward and can disect exactly why, I really hope you would be able to figure out the the future value of something (which you can trade in a "future contract") is the underlying value (or spot) + interest (between now and the exp of futures contract) - dividend.

F= U + I - D

#11     Aug 6, 2007
  2. :) , now comes the stalking.

Gnome actually nailed the calculations osho67, I (on the other hand) just pulled the info off of the PDF that I uploaded in the middle of the night to help you figure-out your question, with the hope that others would come along and elucidate further on the subject matter.

It just so happens that your statement "Margin requirement will be a constraint as well because roughly 500 of SPY will require 35000 while 1 contract of ES requires roughly 6000." may be true of your broker, but it isn't true of all (or even most) discount brokers. Overnight margin should exactly equal $3,500 as well. - if this is not the case with your brokerage, you should find one where it is.

Purely aside from your question, as a trader, this is very good information to have at your fingertips.

There are numerous scenarios where risk can be managed more effectively by working exclusively with ETFs if the S&P E-mini represents too much leverage for a given style of trading, incorporated into a portfolio of stocks if that is more your style, or through a combination of offsetting trades between the futes and the ETFs if you like to hedge-your-bets.

Good trading is all about managing risk. :)

Good trading,

Jimmy Jam

#12     Aug 6, 2007