Es Dom

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Neoxx, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Neoxx

Neoxx

Any tips on reading this?...

2. Use a bot.

3. Neoxx

Neoxx

Come again?...

4. The Globex can execute a trade every 13.7 milliseconds (as of May 2008 see news release at http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS258268+13-May-2008+PRN20080513 ) and can update the DOM even faster (since no price matching logic is involved).

Can you process up to 100 DOM updates a minute? No, you can't. Thus you should use an automated trading robot AKA a bot to be able to take full advantage of the DOM.

5. Error Correction: That question should be "Can you process up to 100 DOM updates a SECOND?"

6. Neoxx

Neoxx

Thanks for the clarification, Jeb. Interesting article to boot.

The natural follow-on question would be do you really need to process every individual update in order to utilize the DOM as a trade-assist tool?

My analogy would be a pitched medieval battle, 10,000 strong. At any one moment, there would be thousands of individual reactions and counter-reactions. However, from an aerial vantage, one could observe the ebb and flow, the tide of battle and, every so often, notice recurring patterns

7. Neoxx

Neoxx

I'm sure it takes a long time to get to grips with the DOM, and that there are no shortcuts.

Saying that, does anyone have any useful advice for novice DOM/tape readers?

8. bbqbbq

bbqbbq

i heard reading not the supply and demand, but reading the last trade is helpful. for example if last trade is 1000 sold, then you know a big buyer sold.

by the way, does anybody know how you can figure out if those big orders are buy or sell orders?

9. Picaso

Picaso

www.marketdelta.com
    www.traderfeed.blogspot.com/

10. Neoxx

Neoxx

Thanks for the link, Sarvise. There’s a lot of interesting stuff on Steenbarger’s blog.

#10     Aug 25, 2008