ES Daytraders, Whats max heat you will take ?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by tradertony76, Nov 14, 2006.

1. gnome

gnome

First, let me say that I'm not claiming "nobody makes good money scalping". I'm just saying it's difficult and the huge majority who try, fail. (Maybe you've got HUGE onions and superior discipline.... good for you!)

Second, trading is difficult enough without taking the most treacherous path. More success will be had by taking the easiest path... scalping is definitely NOT it.

#11     Nov 14, 2006
  2. volente_00

volente_00

Are you with Tradegroup?

#12     Nov 14, 2006
  3. I suppose the flaw in my thinking is not bitching about having a 4-6 tick stop requirement, but rather that I need to be better about placing my trades such that 4-6 ticks of heat will prove my trade idea wrong.

I just get frustrated.

When I'm selective about my trades, I feel I get bitched at for not being aggressive enough, and when I'm aggressive I get stopped out and lose. I suppose the whole game is finding a happy medium between the two extremes.

#13     Nov 14, 2006
  4. jim c

jim c

Tony...Where you place your stop has alot to do with your profit target. The best advise I can give you is do a search for futurestrader71..then search for the keyword "losses". there are about 4 pages that will come up. These pages contain some of the most profound sh*t i have ever read or heard when it comes to dealing with your losses or your stop! It changed my trading alot! good luck jim

#14     Nov 14, 2006
  5. Manual 3 tic stop with a 4 tic hard stop which has never been applied.

I am trading from -100 tic bars, morning session only.

#15     Nov 14, 2006
  6. <i>"We dont have many ES traders right now. I'm one of a handful of guinea pigs in a sim room.

My goal at the moment is getting 4-12 ticks per trade with a high win% or at least a low losing %. I'd say average winner I'm shooting for is 6 ticks."</i>

I'd opine there aren't many ES traders there right now, because that specific approach inside decades' low volatility is all but impossible to sustain.

Would be more encouraging if the firm leaders / pros could actually accomplish this strategy themselves.

#16     Nov 14, 2006
  7. Just curious. What do you consider that to be?

#17     Nov 14, 2006
  8. gnome

gnome

Well, there is no really "easy" path... but scalping is definitely more difficult.

I've been trading longer than most of the noobs on ET have been alive.... and I believe there are 2 potentially good approaches...

(1) Swing trades off of daily charts

(2) Daily-Swing type trades... going for the potential of 8-10 swing points with 3-4 points risk.

Scalping is just waaaay too manic and requires players determine "which noise tick is playable for profit". The fact that it's mostly "noise" = low probability of getting it right.

#18     Nov 14, 2006
  9. <i>"Well, there is no really "easy" path... but scalping is definitely more difficult.

I've been trading longer than most of the noobs on ET have been alive.... and I believe there are 2 potentially good approaches...

(1) Swing trades off of daily charts

(2) Daily-Swing type trades... going for the potential of 8-10 swing points with 3-4 points risk.

Scalping is just waaaay too manic and requires players determine "which noise tick is playable for profit". The fact that it's mostly "noise" = low probability of getting it right."</i>

Couldn't agree more. Add to that the fact that scalping is actually tougher inside low-range conditions than it is in normal to large-range price action.

Logical assumption is dull markets = shoot for smaller gains. In reality, the small losses are easily hit but small gains come tough. Sitting thru hours worth of "noise" to catch the bigger swings is actually best approach in dull markets.

Logic has it backwards, as usual... which is exactly why most traders fail.

#19     Nov 14, 2006
  10. volente_00

volente_00

And how do you make money with these strategies on the 6 point range days intraday ? Not everyday is like today and the majority of the time es is chopping sideways in a narrow range.

#20     Nov 14, 2006