ES and NQ Trading

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by gwnorth, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Playing with a simulator almost always gives new traders the God complex: "why can't these idiots figure it out"

I will make millions at this.

Then reality:

"Holy shit, how did that go against me five points in a heartbeat. That never happened in my simulations. Might as well hang on cause its sure to go the ether way. Shit, I'm down 1K, how did this happen...."

Jay

#11     Mar 3, 2003
  2. gwnorth

gwnorth

Thanks every body for sharing your thoughts. Paper trading is certainly not without its draw backs as well as some simulators as I'm finding out. Going to try FFastrade's simulator for a short bit to see if that system helps with things and strategies. Yes trading certainly is a game of psych and yes I'll agree simulators are limited. Until the money hits the table or winds up on the floor it ain't the real deal. Control is what it seems to be all about. Will try small size as well with IB to get the feel for fill rate.

Happy Trails

gw

#12     Mar 3, 2003
  3. gwnorth
    I found it helpful to watch the ES but trade the SPY. This helps get a feel for the ES with out the full risk. I will often trade the SPY with small size until I see a nice setup then I will take the trade on the ES. Its easy to over trade and trading the ES in chop will kill you quick.
    Trading the SPY keeps me fully connected and I am always ready to take a futures position. Knowing when to sit on your hands is as important as a good entry. I also trade the NQ and YM but I have found that I had a hard time trading the Qs and making much $ unless you trade 500 shares or more. I have an easier time trading the NQ for a quick trade. If you catch a good trend move the Qs are ok but in the current market I have been taking profits quicker and even with IBs cheap commissions I think they were making alot more than I was. I trade using Woodie's CCI setups on a 3 and 5 min chart. Happy trading Nas .:)

#13     Mar 4, 2003
  4. Which particular Woodie's setup do you mean? I believe he has produced more than one or correct me if I am wrong.

Also, how do you find trading YM? Any problems with the liquidity and spreads?

Thanks.

#14     Mar 4, 2003