ES/ 1 Point Target, no stops

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by oldtime, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Huh? Some of us trade more than one contract, miss. Stops degrade the performance of any system. This is fact. Now if you are trading scared money and are a weak hand--- then you'll just die incrementally rather than all at once. Your choice, miss.

surf

#21     Dec 8, 2012
  2. You are correct old timer. Don't let the book wise ladies grind you down. surf

Ps-- obviously, however, I think you should go for more than one point--- but if it works, it works.

#22     Dec 8, 2012
  3. Wrong. You cannot provide blanket statements that cover ALL systems. This shows amateurism.

#23     Dec 8, 2012

4. Yes, I am speaking in generalities-- I'm sure there are an exception or two based on systems I haven't had tested but out of 1000's I have never seen stops improve performance.

This promotion of stops etc is a creation of brokers and others who live off the vig-- the more u trade the more THEY make. Don't you get it? First step ---Stop supporting the enemy and then maybe you will start making money.

surf

#24     Dec 8, 2012
  5. Been making money every month and every year since 1999, but thanks for the advice :p

#25     Dec 8, 2012
  6. You've probably seen only a sliver of the systems that are out there. Stop being naive, thinking you know all that exists when it comes to trading systems. It's just making you come off as ignorant. Food for thought...

#26     Dec 8, 2012
  7. well, I didn't want to start a fight about stops, they have already been argued about enough

just curious why nobody ever argues about how bad targets hurt you?

everybody assumes if you trade without stops, someday you will get wiped out

but nobody ever assumes if you trade without targets someday you will get rich you will get rich

#27     Dec 8, 2012
  8. Obviously there are so many moving parts when creating a workable system. Bad targets are certainly one of those variables.

#28     Dec 8, 2012
  9. the strategy outlined turned me profitable, but it was after watching a client trade that way until he got wiped out

I just asked myself, "Why not just do the opposite?"

my targets became stops, and I never took a profit

#29     Dec 8, 2012
  10. You have to be a really horrible trader to switch your tgts to your stops. If you are truly that bad with your original ideas, then maybe this might work. But then again, you're using a stop. A one point tgt with no stop is destined for failure. It just is...

#30     Dec 8, 2012