Errors in the NYSE TRIN? (IB)

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Fierze, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Fierze

Fierze

There has been some problems with IB's market internals lately. Earlier this week the TICK values were off and now, the TRIN seems pretty abnormal as well.

The attached graph show the NYSE TRIN today. It starts out at 0.5 but suddenly spikes up to 2.0 and remains there. Surely this can not be normal behavior for the TRIN index? Something looks very wrong, these rapid movements should not occur, or am I missing something?

2. Mine's the same.

Yesterday morning, for about an hour after the open, I had no reading at all. Totally blank....

3. It is not just IB that has odd loking TRIN. The TRIN data at www.quote.com jumped from 0.60 to 2.00 just before 11:00 AM EDT and has slowly drifted down to 1.75.

Probably because C is the NYSE volume leader and it went from plus to minus just before 11:00 AM EDT flipping the TRIN way up.

4. Bingo!

5. Fierze

Fierze

Hmmm... It still seems crazy to me that ONE company could completely turn the TRIN around 180 degrees in a matter of seconds. As far as I know, the TRIN takes all NYSE volume into account and there should be a lot of other high volume companies to balance out whatever happens with C(itigroup)!?

6. You do realize that Citi trades 1 BILLION SHARES today???

7. TradeStation, same issue.

A day like today (at least the first half)... having TRIN near 2.0 seemed very odd. I thought there was something wrong with TS' feed.

If an index can be affected by one stock's changing from 0.50 to 2.00, I gotta ditch it. It's worthless.

8. dtmike

dtmike

Thanks for bringing this up. It helps newer traders like myself keep things in perspective. I know I should only trade in the opposite direction that the Trin is trending, but with this kind of action it left me totally confused (even more than I already am).

9. Banjo

Banjo

10. You do not necessarily trade in the opposite direction of the TRIN, unless you want to fight the trend.

Just not a good idea.

#10     Jul 30, 2009