Erroneous trade by broker/software error - possible?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Laissez Faire, Mar 25, 2020.

1. MattZ

MattZ Sponsor

So, there is your issue. Now you know you need to change it.
    If you want you can PM me and you can tell me which API you use, and I could put some thought to help you through that. I respect that you have not made your broker and API ands issue here. Reach out any time.

#11     Mar 25, 2020
    Laissez Faire likes this.
  2. I did fat finger a stock symbol once. it was in the dark. I didn't know about it after several days later, I discovered I'm holding a strange stock symbol. I wondered how the hell this stock got on my accnt. my initial reaction was my accnt was hacked, then I checked the keyboard layout and the letters around the key that I supposed to press, then I realized I pressed the wrong key... hahaha

#12     Mar 25, 2020
  3. sprstpd

sprstpd

What if they come back later and say that the extra contract was in error and it is now busted? If it were me, I would be asking for complete trade logs for that day and trying to figure out what the hell happened. Because I've seen some weird stuff happen and it is not out of the realm of possibility that your initial reaction was the correct one. Just make sure to pin down what really happened so that you actually know for sure what is going on (and maybe you'll learn something to avoid in the future).

#13     Mar 25, 2020
  4. I don't think that's going to happen.

But I will inquire one more time...

I suppose I already have that, but the broker statements are a pain to read and only shows the # of buys/sells sorted in order by price. The orders are not timestamped. Just date. I spent quite a few hours on this already.

The bottom line is that my broker statements does not match my trade records in my trading software.

And since I have a very good control of all trades I place and virtually never trade overnight - this one stood out as an irregularity when I went over my statements this weekend.

Any details...?

#14     Mar 25, 2020
  5. RRY16

RRY16

It won’t happen because it’s a Sim Account.

#15     Mar 25, 2020
  6. schizo

schizo

If it were any other "normal" time, you can just shrug it off as unimportant. But with crazy volatility even during AH, where futures can rise or fall by 5%, such a blunder would be completely unacceptable. My advice is to change your broker.

#16     Mar 25, 2020
  7. sprstpd

sprstpd

They've got to have timestamps (both submission and execution) on your orders and there has to be a way for you to get those details (plus maybe what type of order it was). Then maybe you can figure out exactly when this phantom order was submitted and executed.

I've had busts get reported to me 3 days late so that was an eye-opening experience for me.

#17     Mar 26, 2020