Eric Cantor Believes Obama is a US Citizen

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Landis82, Jan 23, 2011.

1. From the Associated Press

WASHINGTON – The new Republican House majority leader says he doesn't think questions about President Barack Obama's citizenship should play a role in the discussion of policy matters.

Two years into the Obama administration, so-called birthers continue to argue that Obama isn't a natural-born citizen and that he hasn't proved he's constitutionally qualified to be president. Birth records in Hawaii haven't dissuaded them.

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor says he believes Obama is a citizen and that most Americans are beyond that question.

"I don't think it's an issue that we need to address at all. . It is not an issue that even needs to be on the policy-making table right now whatsoever," he said.

Appearing Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press," Cantor refused to call people who question Obama's citizenship "crazy."

"I don't think it's nice to call anyone crazy," Cantor said

Cantor says he believes that Obama wants what's best for the country and that there are honest disagreements over how to achieve that.

Birthers say there's no proof he was born in the United States; many of these skeptics question whether he was actually born in Kenya, his father's home country.

Hawaii's health director said in 2008 and 2009 that she had seen and verified Obama's original vital records, and birth notices in two Honolulu newspapers were published within days of Obama's birth at Kapiolani Maternity and Gynecological Hospital in Honolulu.

Health Department spokeswoman Janice Okubo again confirmed on Friday that Obama's name is found in its alphabetical list of names of people born in Hawaii, maintained in bound copies available for public view.

Hawaii's Democratic governor, Neil Abercrombie, who was a friend of Obama's parents and knew him as a child, began an effort last month to find a way to dispel conspiracy theories that the president was born elsewhere. The governor said he was bothered by people who questioned Obama's birthplace for political reasons.

But Abercrombie's office said Friday that he was ending his quest because it's against state law to release private documents. The state's attorney general told the governor he can't disclose an individual's birth documentation without a person's consent.

The Obama campaign issued a certificate of live birth in 2008, an official document from the state showing the president's birth date, city and name, along with his parents' names and races.

http://www.salon.com/wires/allwires/2011/01/23/D9KU4I783_us_cantor_birthers/index.html

2. Jeffery dahmer was a US citizen what's your point?

3. Mercor

Mercor

When will the left stop bringing up this issue?

4. sorry , thought you were talking about
    [​IMG]

5. Ricter

Ricter

When the right-wing birthers do.

6. Ricter

Ricter

Falling back on this old tactic essentially admits the birthers are wrong.

7. jem

jem

The previous Gov said Obama was born in a specific hospital and
    some chief spokes person said she had verified there was __________. (very confusing sentence if you go back and read it.

All the loons said this means Obama was born here even though his dad is Kenyan.

Those with a brain said... I do not trust cheny and bush and I dont trust democrats so show me the proof.

The new governor of HI said he will produce the originals.
    Opps -- now he wont.

And loons are telling birthers they must have faith. I don't get it I really dont. How can anyone think they know where Obama was born.

With no official records we are down to hearing about 2 birth announcements. How much proof is that.
    Now I do not care because I am confident some states will require proof of eligibility.

8. Ricter

Ricter

I don't know what official record you are waiting on because the entire planet can look at a scan of it, online, as attested to by the records office, and as confirmed by the Republican governor of HI. How many governors do you need? Are you actually trolling, 'cause you like to see me type? ; )

9. jem

jem

richter... this is all about the concept of foundation when it comes to evidence. I am talking logically not legally.

1. You have a scan of a document which purports to be from HI. It claims to tell you where Obama was born.

2. That document would have been created by sucking data out of some HI record in the records dept right?

3. That records dept is supposed to get that data from where?

4. Well the spot you could trust would be the original birth records.
    We were told HI had them but would not produce them without a tangible interest.

5. Now it seems the new governor could not find them but there is a notation about them being there.

So. what you have is a scan of a document with data that could have come from non reliable sources.

So how the heck does anyone know where Obama was born if HI can find the originals? Or at least won't produce them?

So a loon could argue... the data was solid and got in the computer in the 70s.

A birther could argue it was put there 3 years ago.

A lawyer would say - lay the foundation of where the data came from. is it trustworthy on the issue of birthplace.

If it is let it in to the record. I really do not know how anyone can reach a conclusion without knowing the data and knowing how trustworthy it is? Its odd to me that so many lefties on TV act like they are superior to birthers when I think they are all idiots.

10. Lucrum

Lucrum

Well put, although I don't consider myself a full blown conspiracy theorist/"birther " I do think there are some legitimate questions/issues surrounding Barry's documentation.

How did he travel to Pakistan? Why would a Kenyan government representative and BO's grandmother both claim he born in Kenya?

BO's reactions to the questions about his eligibility only serves to make it easier to think there might be a problem. I'm inclined to think most politicians and the courts don't want to pursue the issue for fear of the possibly of finding out he's ineligible and the potential for nation wide riots from the African community if that was the case.

#10     Jan 24, 2011