Equity traders have proven themseleves on ET, futures traders remain a mystery

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ChkitOut, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Excellent post AustinP!

#11     Nov 27, 2008
  2. stinger

stinger

that is the key to successfull ES and NQ trading. It is all about controlling risk which from reading most of the posts, not many seem to do it. I have a stop before the order is placed. Always protecting capital.

Great post Austin

#12     Nov 27, 2008
  3. qwert

qwert

trading ym is for suckers. the shake outs r terrifying with even one contract and thats trading off longer term charts when reversals r real.

using a stop its always hit, always for a loss

i dont have enough for a margin account anymore and have no choice but trade eminis

been using ninja traders simulator 14 hours a day for the last 2 months and learning alot about the indicators and settings. longer term charts and indicators r the real deal.

#13     Nov 27, 2008
  4. stinger

stinger

If nobody was making money on the es nq and ym, the volume wouldn't be where it is. The minis are a great investment tool.

#14     Nov 27, 2008

5. austinp is a VENDOR!

Again, more spin, smoke, mirrors, its always a circus atmosphere when it comes to futures.

"you need a good win/loss p/l ratio."

LOL, thanks for stating the obvious. Thats like saying, its possible to travel to a distant galaxy all you need to do is build a space ship that will take you there.

#15     Nov 27, 2008
  6. Surdo

Surdo

Investment tool or trading vehicle, big difference my friend!
    If you are not properly capitalized/disciplined, ES will gobble your account up like a pumkin pie in no time!

Happy Thanksgiving,

surdo

#16     Nov 27, 2008
  7. stinger

stinger

Investment tool or trading vehicle - no difference to me. It all depends how you interpret it - semantics.

This debate is why no pros post here often. That's why there are buyers and sellers - can't post on here without a contrarian view - like a previous poster said, this would be a good market to trade... But, that is why forums are good for debating, to open up the vision, to think a little more.

If some of you think that people aren't highly successful trading the minis and futures, you should rethink your trading strategies.

As for Austin, maybe for once a vendor is right. I'm no vendor, but two things are important in my trading philosophy
    1- money management
    2- staying humble

Posting a P/L isn't remaining humble imop.

Cheers

#17     Nov 27, 2008
  8. Yes, lets stay on topic. Futures threads tend to digress very rapidly.

No consistent futures posters in the P/L thread.

Forget humble and all that crap, thats just more spin, smoke, mi...

#18     Nov 27, 2008
  9. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

What does AustinP sell?

#19     Nov 27, 2008
  10. Happy Thanksgiving to those in the US, and to those outside the United States, Happy Ordinary Thursday.

The paradigm used (not many futures traders posting in the P&L Thread) isn't going to provide the satisfaction you seek for several very important reasons.

First, very few actual traders have ever heard of this web site - let alone a specific thread within it. Visit any of the exchanges in Chicago or New York, and speak directly with traders on the floors. You'll find few individuals who have heard of elitetrader.com, or if they have heard of it, even fewer exist that visit on a regular basis.

Second, the standard set for proof (posting to the P&L thread) assumes most traders have a desire to 'prove their worth' to an annonymous group of individuals posting to a web site in an effort to garner some elusive form of 'street cred' from those who may or may not trade for a living. Most people (in my experience) whom I have met that actualy do trade for a living simply do not care to 'prove' anything to anyone but themselves.

Third, by requiring a trader post to a certain thread, the standard set for proof eliminates anyone who (for whatever reason) has chosen to post their blotters anywhere else (e.g. another thread on ET or elsewhere on the internet).

Nothing wrong with the OP setting certain standards, which if met, the OP believes would provide sufficient 'proof' that profitable futures traders exist on ET. However, the standards chosen create an arbitrary set of 'rules' which have zero to do with someone's actual profitability, and everything to do with the OP's beliefs with respect to behavior.

Under the standard set, a profitible futures trader would need to 1. have visited ET, 2. during their visit, located the P & L Thread, 3. have a desire to post their blotters, 4. and care what others think with respect to their own ability to profit.

In the real world, the numbers of individuals who meet this standard represent far fewer people than those who actually profit from trading and do so for a living. So you see, by using these arbitrary standards, the OP has actually reduced the opportunity to locate the proof they seek.

Of course, everyone should feel free to consider this post 'more smoke and mirrors' (as the OP puts it). Either way, if proof is what people need, than I recommend visiting an exchange floor. At least in the real world, you can know who trades for a living.

Again, enjoy the Holiday everyone.

- Spydertrader

#20     Nov 27, 2008