Equities gappers

Discussion in 'Journals' started by glazier, Feb 26, 2019.

1. glazier

glazier

-$50

[​IMG]

#11     Mar 7, 2019
  2. glazier

glazier

HZNP hurt me. I Would have been a little green on the day if not for that stock.
    Tried shorting it 3 times, getting stopped each time

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    #12     Mar 7, 2019
  3. glazier

glazier

Anyone know of any active trading/equites forums btw? Like this one, but with active stock traders? Only other forum I know of is trade2win.

thanks

#13     Mar 8, 2019
  4. glazier

glazier

[​IMG]

(-$380)

Worst one yet. Basically every trade just went against me.

#14     Mar 8, 2019
  5. glazier

glazier

Untitled.png

($-105)

LUV caused the most damage today

Untitled.png

#15     Mar 11, 2019
  6. glazier

glazier

Untitled.png

($-70)

#16     Mar 12, 2019
  7. glazier

glazier

Ended up trading a few more times, but PNL is basically exactly the same so I won't update that.

Here's the charts, though

Untitled.png

#17     Mar 12, 2019
  8. So I know the whole premise of your strategy and journal is to trade gappers, but my first thought is to abandon that and stick to 24 or less stocks that you trade 90%+ of the time. Unless the gapper strategy is so consistent with giving you profits, you should try to figure out what has been working for you and try to nail down into that. To me, and my experiences, I couldn't care less whether a stock is a big gapper that day. But that's just me.

#18     Mar 12, 2019
  9. glazier

glazier

Thanks. I was considering changing things up soon in regards to the actual stocks that I look at. Someone elsewhere suggested just concentrating on a handful of stocks for a while. I'll probably start that on Monday.

Part of the reason i've stuck with this strategy is because I know of a few people online who absolutely kill it using a very similar strategy, although I don't know the exact 'ins and outs' of their method. (but just knowing that i'm potentially close to something that has an 'edge' has made me stick with it to see if I can work out the kinks) - We often take similar trades, but they also often take setups I didn't notice and they don't take the trades that I end up losing on. (only the winners!) Despite our actual 'set ups' looking similar (breaks of levels on 'momentum stocks' along with looking at VWAP, whole numbers etc) there's obviously other stuff that they are aware of that I am not, which means they win every day and I tend to lose lol

#19     Mar 12, 2019
  10. Keep at it. There's no holy grail, which as traders is what we are always looking for. It comes from experience and eliminating things that don't work, which we have to find out the hard way.

#20     Mar 12, 2019
    glazier likes this.