Epicurus on God

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gabfly1, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Ricter

Ricter

Why not? The heaven believers I've read imagine a hell.

#11     Nov 16, 2010
  2. So then merely imagining a hell is a sufficient counterbalance to make up the other side of the coin? However, the evil that exists in the here and now is real and not only imagined. Why does a god allow the perpetration of actual evil on real lives, when the mere imagining of it apparently suffices? Seems rather over the top, wouldn't you say? Unnecessarily heavy-handed on the ever merciful god's part.

#12     Nov 16, 2010
  3. Ricter

Ricter

The coin is an analogy of course, I didn't mean to get hung up on it. My question and point is, can good exist without evil? How would we know what it is?

In my experience, as I remove "evils" from my life, other evils soon take their place. I take it for granted that this is partly a function of my human power of discrimination and judgement. They may be lesser evils, but I can only know that in reference to my memories of the past evils.

#13     Nov 16, 2010
  4. And whom do we thank for the evil we have been blessed with to give us context?

Speaking of context:

#14     Nov 16, 2010
  5. Ricter

Ricter

If we believe in God, we would have to thank Him for evil (and good) if we want to retain our ability to judge; the ability to give thanks (or criticism), of course.

I'm borrowing here, but someone said that to ask why God would create a universe with evil in it is about the same as asking why He would create a universe with length, width, or height.

#15     Nov 16, 2010
  6. 1. That's a rather hefty price to pay for the privilege of having judgment, wouldn't you say?

2. I think the three dimensions are required for us to inhabit our little rock of the universe. I'm not sure I need evil in my life in order to sustain it.

Oh, and speaking of the ability to judge and be critical, remember our earlier exchange in another thread?
    Round and round we go...

#16     Nov 16, 2010
  7. And yet even the great Epicurus did not deny the existance of God(s).
    Instead, he stated that what gods there may be do not concern themselves with us, and thus would not seek to punish us either in this or any other life.

#17     Nov 16, 2010
  8. Lucrum

Lucrum

A) Satan/Lucifer

B) That dumb bitch Eve

C) Liberals

D) Natural selection

E) All of the above

#18     Nov 16, 2010
  9. dont forget. he is supposed to be a loving god who is all powerful,perfectly capable of stopping evil acts. so when he stands by while innocent children are raped by his so called servents on earth is he demonstrating love?

#19     Nov 16, 2010
  10. [​IMG]

#20     Nov 16, 2010