Epic Fail author Sarah Lewis' KQED radio interview

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by dealmaker, Feb 16, 2015.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  2. Just another "politically correct" way for the losers to feel good about themselves. Sorry, winning is the only gift, losers fail. surf

Clubber Lang likes this.
  3. dealmaker

dealmaker

"I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"
    -Thomas Edison

tommcginnis, Swift5 and Clubber Lang like this.
  4. Let's recognize that the person was courageous enough to admit failure.
    All hats to her to recognize that.
    So now, you have the mental courage to recognize your failures, go in peace
    and leave others in peace.
    :):):)

5. i960

i960

This is pretty short sighted. Obviously the end goal should not be failure and/or continual losing - but one learns through quite a bit through failure. It's how they translate that into success that matters.

6. Thats obviously true. You need to fail to reach success but the celebration of failure is moronic. Some folks never make it ---because they are not following the right path for themselves. This culture of praising failure only keeps them stuck failing - sometimes for life.

Truth is failure sucks and it should hurt. Its not a good thing. Surf

Swift5 likes this.
  7. I liked the scene in Moneyball, Brad Pitt became the new manager. The team lost but they didn't care, in the clubhouse they were playing music and dancing around. Pitt walks in and yells at them, "You think losing is fun???" and slams some stuff around, it all rolls around for a couple seconds, everyone goes quiet. "That's what losing feels like !!!!!"

8. Here we go, I found the clip, here's link:

I got it wrong above, it should be:
    "Is losing fun? IS LOSING FUN?"
    "No ..."
    "So what are you having fun for?" everyone goes quiet "That's what losing sounds like."

I always have to remind myself when I get too comfortable with losing or saying it's ok, don't worry ...

9. dealmaker

dealmaker

10. dealmaker

dealmaker

as per the interview "flow" enhances pattern recognition and capacity for analysis.
    "flow" makes you invincible up to the point you are not. High performers are not adrenaline junkies, they back off the moment they feel adrenaline IE emotion. Sweet spot in flow is when you start to get really, really uncomfortable and over achievers recognize this and push through uncomfortable periods. When there is clarity attention can stay focused on the now. People with highest life satisfaction are people with most "flow" in their lives. Passion is important because things we care about we pay more attention to which drives us more into "flow". Relying on deep embodiment means paying attention to multiple sensory streams at once which massively accelerates learning IE learning through doing. More the complexity easier to achieve flow.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    #10     Feb 2, 2017