ENZN - Options Double Down

Discussion in 'Trading' started by livevol_ophir, Jan 8, 2010.

1. livevol_ophir

livevol_ophir ET Sponsor

The company has traded 3600 options today on daily average option volume of 295. Zero (0) puts have traded today - everything has been a call.

The day's biggest trades tell the story. There is a buyer of both Aug 7.5 and Aug 10 calls. This is referred to as a call "stupid" (a spread that is the same side twice). Note the small OI relative to trade size - these are opening orders.

The Aug 7.5 calls are trading ~3.60 and the Aug 10 calls are trading ~1.85. I believe the 7's to be purchases because the biggest order was 1261 for 3.60 vs 3.30 x 3.70 NBBO. This is clearly closer to the offer - probably cust purchases (similar analysis for the Aug 10s).

What's the News? (below provided by www.theflyonthewall.com)
    Enzon opens Phase 2 study of PEG-SN38 for breast cancer
    Enzon Pharmaceuticals announced that the first patient has been treated in the Phase 2 studies of PEG-SN38 for metastatic breast cancer. PEG-SN38 or EZN-2208 is Enzon’s PEGylated form of SN38, the active metabolite of the cancer drug Camptosar. The PEG-SN38 compound is currently being evaluated in a Phase 2 study for metastatic colorectal cancer.

Regardless of the stock and trading - I hope this one turns out to be a winner.

You can see details, trades, price on my blog:
    http://livevol.blogspot.com/2010/01/enzon-enzn-opening-call-stupid-purchase.html

2. 30 days short interest... notice how none of the reputable biotech funds own it.

Where is SAC, Perceptive, Visum, Healthcor, Sectoral.. etc...

It's a POS

3. livevol_ophir

livevol_ophir ET Sponsor

Lol. It may well be...

4. So how do you make money on the average option screen trade that you do - buy volatility?

5. livevol_ophir

livevol_ophir ET Sponsor

There is no average trade.

(1) Sometimes I see people paying up for options and I offer them to get what I perceive as edge based on my theo. If it's one line specific I can often times spread it off for a lot of edge because a kink develops in the skew on one strike.

(2) Sometimes I piggy back order flow but do the trade for better prices than the size.

(3) Sometimes I do nothing or pair trade. i.e. get same delta bet but pay less vega by combining (1) in the heavy trading stock and (2) in a highly correlated stock; where I am looking for the generic linear correlation, not any other rank.

Usually I just observe and remember the big bets. If they are winners twice, three times in a row in the same stock with similar bets, I go for strategy (2). If there is no reason to believe they are winners, I follow number (1).

Of course, many times, I do nothing b/c I do not perceive edge in either side.

Following order flow is rarely the obvious piggy back trade. Trading is a game of memory. If you can't recall trades 3-6 months ago in stocks you follow, you will have trouble trading.

Simple test: Can you remember the biggest trade you did every day of the week for the last 2 weeks even if things were uber slow? If you can't, it's probably trouble. If you can, you are probably making money trading.