Entire Nations Collapsing

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ByLoSellHi, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Aha, and what will replace it?

#11     Oct 23, 2008
  2. Maybe WW3 will be fought won and lost with paper.

#12     Oct 23, 2008
  3. The Amero?

#13     Oct 23, 2008

4. eliminate fractional reserve banking and private ownership of central banks and none of this will happen again.

Private bankers know the people will revolt.

That is why countries have been building internment camps for their own citizens.

#14     Oct 23, 2008
  5. I kind of wonder if a lot of people actually give a rats posterior. I'm living in a nice urban setting. I bought the book "Square Foot Gardening" and am planning to grow a heck of a lot of food just in the back yard. I can live without a car, done it before, liked it... my idea of quality of life is not terribly materialistic.

Actually, people that see what's coming down the pike will have some trading opportunities with all the currencies bobbing like corks in the sea and some hard asset buy and hold opportunities as well.... new businesses will spring up to fit the new scenario too. Hopefully the new administration won't screw us over completely with a trading tax or some insanity like that...

#15     Oct 24, 2008
  6. achilles28

achilles28

This doesn't make sense within the context of 500 Billion worth of subprime defaulting.

There's more going on here, obviously.

Some of these markets had Real Estate booms, but much of the bad assets were exported from the US.

This stuff is happening so fast I can't keep up.

Looks like derivative exposure to US assets is part, at least indirectly. Perhaps directly.

If thats the case, then yea, things are a lot worse than originally thought.

Be nice if someone more knowledgeable could give us a summary here.

#16     Oct 24, 2008
  7. When Buffet said derivatives were financial weapons of mass destruction he wasnt wrong.

We are seeing the nukes going off everywhere, but Iceland, South Korea, Argentina, Indonesia, Portugal, Lithuania, Ukraine, Hungary, South Africa, Pakistan and who knows how many others cant handle the fallout..

#17     Oct 24, 2008
  8. achilles28

achilles28

Holy Fuck.

Who knew Wallstreet had derivatized foreign debt with CDS??

This thing is a powder keg. Every paper in the world has been leveraged 10 to 1 and they're all going under.

#18     Oct 24, 2008
  9. achilles28

achilles28

Whats the deal with this default?

Is there debt no longer serviceable from the global slowdown or are sovereign/government funds invested in US assets? both?

#19     Oct 24, 2008
  10. i've held a pet theory, that if paper wealth becomes extremely concentrated in too few hands, the only direction for that paper to go is down in value.

this is probably one giant, perhaps extended, dead cat bounce in USD paper. a lot of the world was leveraged more, inspiring a flight to 'quality'.. but it's all still paper with one direction to go in the long run. down... largely to the degree that it's concentrated.

#20     Oct 24, 2008