Enslaving Americans for fun and profit

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Ghost of Cutten, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Yes, but after you graduate in Europe and get a $100k per year job, you pay $50k per year in taxes there.

Hard for me to grasp the notion of paying 50% of my income to the government so they can do a bunch of stuff I dont want them to do.

#11     Jun 12, 2010
  2. Yes it feels good until you realize you have to pay about 10-20% more in annual tax for the next 45 years to pay for this. And that applies whether you got a degree or not - if you are a successful taxi driver who left school at 16, you still have to pay tax through the nose to subsidize multi-millionaire investment bankers' sons going to Oxbridge or Ecole Normale Supérieure. And the graduates, after benefiting from taxpayer largesse, can then move outside the EU to escape the higher taxes which are supposed to recoup the cost.

Also, European universities are inferior. The UK dominates the European league tables, and the US dominates the UK in the international league tables. Government involvement degrades performance.

In the US you can still get a degree pretty cheap. Overall their system is fairer - you pays your money and you takes your choice. If you are broke but smart, you can get a Harvard scholarship. If you are broke and average, you can go to a local or community college, or at least have the option of borrowing if you think you can hack somewhere with more name recognition. If you are broke and dumb, you take on a 100k debt to take gender studies or get an online private investigator degree with the University of Phoenix - and after 3 years you receive a free lesson in Darwinian natural selection. Sounds good to me.

#12     Jun 12, 2010
  3. Anyway, can we get back on topic? What about enslaving hot young college graduates? Any suggestions? Are any laws broken if you agree to hold off on debt collection in return for sexual favours?

#13     Jun 12, 2010