Ensign why do some pro's like it?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Samson77, Feb 5, 2005.

1. BKuerbs

BKuerbs

The discussion of the three data feeds centers upon Globex data.

There is one aspect missing: the IB data feed provides snapshots, this means some short-lived spikes may be missing.

I have seen 11-tick spikes in the German Bund (Eurex) not showing up in the IB feed. These happened during the release of an economic report, normally during some faster moves you may be missing a tick or two at most.

While this kind of filtering may be of advantage for some traders others may want to see the complete picture (think of those using high and lows of a period).

This said, the IB data feed is among the best you can find on the market.

regards

Bernd Kuerbs

#71     Feb 19, 2005
  2. And you can bet if your stop loss was one of those ticks that
    didn't show up in the IB feed, your stop was still hit and you were
    taken out of the trade. Happened to me not too long ago and IB
    told me that I and 12 others were hit (some might of been going
    long so it was good for them) and they said to check out the trades
    at the CME to prove it (I was trading ES). The question for me was:
    Why didn't my trade show up on T&S? I guess the trades were also
    chunked at a price 1 tick higher than was showing on IB's feed. Strange... :(

#72     Feb 19, 2005
  3. The IB feed is a pretty accurate summary of what happens but occasionally misses data. I have also had a stop hit that I didnt see on the feed and asked about it. IB sent me an image of the actual time and sales for the period and there I was ... providing someone with a gift :)

So it is on the T&S but its not in your IB Feed --- however, at least the feed doesnt lag.

#73     Feb 19, 2005
  4. Bsulli

Bsulli

The last three posters have all made excellent points that I most definitely agree with. One thing the last link I posted pointed out to me is all users of data at least need to ask their respectful data vendor if they chunk or tick. A user whose is wanting or specifically trading a style that needs ticks may very well be getting chunked. Case in point if my memory serves correctly is that at one point Esignal also use to chunk data before switching to tick supply. I'm sure if my memory is faultly someone from Esignal will correct me.

As for using IB as a data supply you can visit any of the Ensign Echat rooms(Bline being the main one). You will find that litterly hundreds and hundreds of user there now swear by using the IB datafeed. Ensign did have growing pains early on in the adoption of the IB feed as an alternate source. Now after many many months of development Ensign has made the IB a viable choice.

Spikes will always be a problem in news or fast market driven conditions. As long as one can accept that then IB is a one choice that Ensign shines with.

good luck and good trading

Bsulli

#74     Feb 19, 2005
  5. Bsulli

Excellent points and I am on that happy list myself now.

This was my first month with my charting expenses at $40 and I did not suffer one bit as far a features and functions go, as a matter of fact it was one of my best months in a long time.

Was it Ensign and IB day ? LOL

I don't know but the fact remains I'm in such a good mood finding this that it's bound to help my trading results.

#75     Feb 19, 2005
  6. IQfeed provides upto date backfill for QT customers (I am one of them)..So if you switch on your IB quotes you don't have to wait 20 mins for backfill.. Is it the same for ensign ? Jerry has a great product for day traderts.. I am looking more at charts upto 3-6 months out using 1 hr or 3 hr bars...
    ANybody from Ensign, Iqfeed or users, please help with the info...
    Thx..

#76     Feb 28, 2005
  7. Other than their chat room, is there a forum somewhere for Ensign?

Thanks!

s

#77     Jul 29, 2005
  8. Check out dacharts.com

#78     Jul 29, 2005
  9. Who says Pros like Ensign? I don't want to go through
    reading this thread, Can provide a valid link to verify this statement?

#79     Jul 29, 2005

10. NanaTrader...

This is bullet proof info that yes indeed, some pro's like Ensign... :D

#80     Jul 30, 2005