Ensign Software - Gone to the DOGS

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Joab, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Could this be Sheldon from Ensign Tech Support? How's the weather in Idaho?

#41     Feb 7, 2008
  2. opm8

opm8

Seeing as how XP came out in 2001 I think I'll be all right. Thanks for the concern.

opm8

#42     Feb 7, 2008
  3. Ensign just up graded there system again today 020709. Refresh seem to be working correctly now. I'm holding my breath!!!

#43     Feb 7, 2008
  4. That wasn't my point.
    If you are watching a couple of Markets, you might get by as you do but for individuals that watch multiple markets/multiple chart increments in real time it won't work. Professional traders need robust tools and Ensign is anything but robust.

I used to leave Ensign up overnight so I wouldn't have to refresh all of my charts in the morning before I started to trade (20 different chart increments) but I would get a "Memory Violation Error" each morning because Ensign leaked RAM it didn't recycle it like normal charting software programs do. I know this is still a fact because I'm administrating an Ensign programmer right now create a program for MultiCharts. The refresh problem and the memory problem are both easy fixes but Ensign refuses to address them.

I began using Ensign in the mid 90's and was a developer for them. I used their product for 8 years before I progressed to a more stable and supported tool. I don't watch the markets for a hobby, I trade for a living and need a tool that supports that requirement. Ensign is not a tool I would ever recommend.

#44     Feb 7, 2008
  5. opm8

opm8

ok fair enough. If Ensign didn't suit my needs I wouldn't use it. Everyone has their favorite charting program.

#45     Feb 7, 2008
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

Upgraded to the 2/7/2008 version yesterday, so far so good. If I don't have any problems I'm not upgrading again for awhile.

#46     Feb 8, 2008
  7. Ensign is not a bad tool. It is pretty solid with the IB feed and offers some good tools. If you are a beginner in the intraday business, trading a contract or two and trade conservatively or look at markets longer term then, at $40/month, it's not a bad deal by far. Data and software vendors want to make lots of money and there are plenty of people out there who think that shelling out shedloads of moola will make them ace traders. Of course this is what these companies want you to believe. Isn't it about waiting for the market to come to you? If so, then Ensign is not a bad analytical tool for working out your entries. Granted, if you trade big volume then get something more upmarket but a business has to consider it's overheads and when starting out keeping them slim is a good way to relieve some of the ample stress involved. To be honest I'm not sure if any of this makes a difference because if your not in the pits and smelling the damn market then you're at the end of a line like everbody else. However, my caveat is that a good front end is essential and I see tick (okay it's aggregated) levels when placing an order. This in conjunction with Ensign I feel is okay but Ensign without this I'm not so sure. Together Button Trader and Ensign work for me as a cheap option trading a single contract for 2 months. Who knows down the line. But I know I'm not getting fleeced by the likes of esignal ($300/month equ. in Europe!). I don't consider myself a cult member for wanting a reasonable deal. I think the fanatics are more likely to be those who flit from one vendor to the next in search of a miracle.

#47     Feb 8, 2008

8. You must be the only person ever on ET to say CQG sucks. The fact you did say that is suspect.

I have heard they are to $$$$$$$ but never that the sucked, your a fraud.

#48     Feb 8, 2008

9. The problem with ensign and IB is if you have to refresh, it changes everything. What was about to be a MA cross over is now gone are has all reday happened.

#49     Feb 8, 2008
  10. You nailed that one.

#50     Feb 8, 2008