Ensign Software - Gone to the DOGS

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Joab, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Don't gauge one's trading prowess or how seriously they take their trading on how expensive their hardware/software is. That is ignorant.

#21     Feb 6, 2008
  2. None of what I stated was expensive. I'm looking for solid performance in my computer and software, speed and reliability for my internet and accurate and consistent data from my feed.
    IMHO whether you are new and just getting started or a seasoned professional, the best tools aren't always the most expensive but they aren't toys either. For anyone watching or monitoring a wide variety of markets, Ensign is a toy. The refresh makes it worthless as a professional tool.

#22     Feb 6, 2008
  3. mtwokay

mtwokay

I gave up on ensign several months ago after realizing I was Howard's unpaid QA grunt. In fact I was paying Howard to be his unpaid QA grunt, as was/is most of his user community after his last big change to the tick database.

Ensign has always been a feature rich application, but only those features Howard liked. Try getting traditional candle sticks with gray wicks and normal body color w/o borders. Not with Ensign but you'll get rockets and every other candle stick option under the sun.

After 1.5 years with ensign I finally gave up and moved on.

#23     Feb 6, 2008
  4. I agree with you. Ensign used to be better for EOD trading data but it has become a toy.

Still, I suggest you make yourself more clear about what you actually mean in your statements. You made it sounds like everyone that doesn't use super cutting edge equipment is a newb...when in fact, that is quite illogical, prof.

Just let this one go.

P.S. That was a funny story about the programmer BTW. Figures.

#24     Feb 6, 2008
  5. Joab

Joab

Good to know I am not the only one having issues with them.

I will look into multicharts too thanks prof :)

#25     Feb 6, 2008
  6. SDticks

SDticks

I actually used CQG for a few years only because it was the only choice at a firm I traded for. I think CQG sucks. It has nothing to do with money, since I wasn't paying for it, it's just not as good as other options. Don't believe the hype. I actually prefer Esignal, which is what I use now.

Please don't tell me you're judging the seriousness of a trader by what charting platform they use. LOL. There are many reasons to use one over another. Charting is close to last on my list of importance anyways.

Anyways, back on topic, I have also been using Ensign as an add on to Esignal for a while now. There's a specfic chart that is easy to chart with Ensign that I've found is unavailable in other programs. Anyways, I only have that one Ensign chart up and have had no problems whatsoever. I haven't updated Ensign since last fall, and I'm guessing I shouldn't.

#26     Feb 6, 2008
  7. With they way the market is heading, all you really need is a big red sell button!:)

Has anyone tried cme equotes?

How about a trading co-operative where a group of traders pool resources: best data, equipment etc. Set up somewhere very pretty (N. California perhaps) by the coast. Some entertainments for the slow moments etc. Trading costs would be tiny because of the volumes traded. Could expand as others joined and as they joined costs would become even less. Eventually we could set up as our own brokerage too. Then the logical step would be our own exchange! Seriously though, a co-operative? All equal, mutual support and pooled resources. Any thoughts?

#27     Feb 7, 2008
  8. Joab

Joab

You will only be able to get away with that for awhile, until Esignal changes something and Ensign needs to adapt. One morning your charts will just not work and you will have to call and update and everything will be screwy and you may miss a days income.

:(

#28     Feb 7, 2008
  9. TGM

TGM

I used CQG for years and a few years ago started fooling around with the "cheap" feeds. I started with Tradestation and moved a small account with them. They sucked so I moved the Tradestation account to IB. I fell in love with IB for trading multiple instruments etc. So I looked and tried cheap software programs. I finally found Ensign and did not like it at first. Now, I love the damn thing because for a NON programming trader like me ---it is a joy to customize (once you get used to it).

I have seen Ensign/Ib data run right with CQG and TT for the last few years. A few months ago, Ensign started screwing things up. I did the latest upgrade this morning.......and it seems to be a hell of lot better.

FWIW, if TT had all the different alert tools and indicator builder tools as Ensign---it would be great. I have found that having Ensign/IB as a good solution .I use the newest TT with charts as an execution solution/backup-works well for me.

CQG has flawless data. Too bad we can not get it all in one package.

This mornings upgrade in Ensign seems to be a BIG improvement---at least for IB.

I have friends that moved their IB account feed from Ensign to NeoTicker and loved it. But I am not a programmer and with Neoticker (which can do anything) --you need to be able to program.

#29     Feb 7, 2008
  10. Looked into Multicharts and stopped dead in my tracks... they don't have watchlists?!?!?!?

Is there no good solution out there?!??!

#30     Feb 7, 2008