Ensign Software and PC Crashes/BSOD

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by ES335, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Excellent comments thank you.

QuoteTracker is rolling out historical charts so I'm very interested to see how Ensign and QT will compare going forward.

#11     Nov 22, 2005
  2. I am a big QT fan. They just keep getting better.

#12     Nov 22, 2005
  3. lcw

lcw

You are welcome. The best is try both of them out yourself and see which one you prefer.
    My experience with Ensign support was good.
    It would be nice and my wish or hope for Ensign pricing around US30/mth for the benefit of my non US currency here and also Advanced Get Chart part of eSignal charge US29/mth and Sierra chart is even much lower price.

#13     Nov 22, 2005
  4. ES335

ES335

Dell workstation bought recently, P4, 1GB RAM, 3.2Ghz, HThreading, was supposed to be a monster, but on my current cable connection, I'm quite disappointed.

The BSOD is probably unrelated to Ensign judging by the responses I see here, will take a closer look at what caused it tonight.

Many thanks to those who have posted so far.

I also feel Ensign is an excellent product.

#14     Nov 22, 2005
  5. ES335

ES335

Hi guys,

Since we're on the topic, felt should ask.

I'm a bloomberg user for my NQ trading, and like the ability to 'zoom' in and out for charts using the zoom function. Ensign doesn't have this feature, although it does have about 6-8 arrows that let you adjust the chart to your liking.

Is there any chance that Howard could add the zoom function to Ensign charting? or would that be technically too hard to do for that platform

Any thoughts would be great

Also maybe we should start a discussion on the favorite things liked about Ensign. I like using the playback function, lets you practice as much as you like.

#15     Nov 23, 2005
  6. jem

jem

has anyone run into the following problem with ensign.

I get the ib data live but I can not get the backfill data.
    The techs tell me I have some firewall blocking my access.

It is not at my router because my older computer can get the data and it goest through the same router

#16     Nov 23, 2005
  7. just21

just21

I had a dell workstation, a few years ago, and had to update the bios numerous times to get over bsod.

#17     Nov 23, 2005
  8. just21

just21

Ready to Drop Kick Your PC?

Troubleshooting a computer feels intimidating. Here are a few simple steps to help you solve common problems.

Michael Desmond, special to PC World
    Tuesday, August 23, 2005

There's a famous scene in the classic movie Caddyshack in which Bill Murray (playing demented greenskeeper Carl Spackler) says that in order to defeat the gopher that's ruining his golf course, he must think like a gopher. Troubleshooting computers can be a bit like that: To recognize and fix what's ailing your system, you must understand how it works.

For instance, when my 10-month-old laptop started to hang occasionally during boot-up before Windows could launch, I figured the problem might be caused by a cold hard drive not quite ready to leap into action, or perhaps an overstrained power supply falling short at a critical moment. But when the problem evolved into crippling Windows crashes, called the Blue Screen of Death (or BSOD), I knew it was something more.

Was it software? No, couldn't be, I told myself. I was sometimes getting those crashes before Windows was even running. Was it the hardware? Probably, but why wasn't the problem always the same? Before I could go much further, I had to mind the four corners of PC troubleshooting: backup, document, Google, and isolate.

Backup and Document

First, I did the smart thing. After that initial BSOD, I backed up all my data. I keep an external USB 2.0/FireWire 250GB hard drive around for just such a contingency. I love how the quick drive can get files off my ailing PC fast. And because it's external, it puts no additional load on the system that I'm trying to troubleshoot. A fast network connection to a second PC offers similar benefits.

Confident that my work and files were protected, I soldiered on, keeping a close eye out for patterns and trends in my mysterious crash investigation.

Next, I went about documenting the problem. PC veterans know that intermittent or delayed crashes are often caused by heat. Heat can cook CPUs, lock up graphics cards, and render disk drives inoperative. Because different applications can drive components at different levels, these crashes can be frustratingly unpredictable. A PC may crash within ten minutes, or it might run all day before giving up.

Facing just such a situation, I downloaded a heat-monitoring utility. I also used a watch and a case thermometer to time how long and how hot the system would run before crashing. When the case sensor pushed past about 40 degrees Celsius, I would often get the BSOD. Now, hitting 40 degrees in my power-mad laptop isn't that unusual. Still, I thought, maybe a specific component wasn't getting properly cooled and was passing a critical threshold. I was officially on to something.

I wrote down everything. I tracked the times and temperatures from my tests. I jotted down cryptic error messages and memory addresses from the BSOD screen dumps. I even took digital pictures of the Windows crash screens so I could send them to my vendor's tech support folks.

Great Google-y Moogle-y

That's when I worked the third trick of PC sleuths: the old Web search. I Googled all those error messages and codes. Then I did the same at Yahoo Search. I used the search engines to find helpful and obscure technical forums, where discussions relating to my problem raged.

I also went to the highly useful Google Groups service and performed searches in Usenet newsgroups, which are online bulletin boards where a lot of computer-savvy people post information and discuss topics. I soon learned that failing memory chips could be causing my BSOD error code.

Which brings me to the fourth step in a good troubleshooting program: isolate. My PC has two RAM modules. After studying the documentation and checking some user forums for detailed guidance, I opened my system and removed one of the 512MB RAM DIMMs. With 512MB left in my system, I booted up. Windows launched. Applications launched. The PC ran for one full day, then two. I ripped MP3 files and compressed video. My PC was cured, but that other RAM DIMM was most certainly toast.

Just to make sure I'd isolated the problem correctly, I swapped the two 512MB modules in the PC. I couldn't get the poor beast to boot. Ten minutes later, I described my sleuthing to the tech support guy, and immediately arranged to receive two new RAM modules to replace mine (RAM needs to be closely matched, so you often need to replace both modules even if only one is bad). As it turns out, the specific model of memory in my system was known to be temperamental. The replacement stuff has been rock-solid ever since.

Different Strokes for Different Folks

The RAM odyssey was trying, but I was fortunate. I was able to get my PC to run for significant stretches, so I could notice patterns (like temperature levels and BSOD codes) that ultimately identified the problem. What if a PC just plain won't start? At those moments, I urge folks to check the simple stuff. Is the power cord plugged in tightly at both ends? Is the outlet powered? Don't laugh: I had a network problem drive me bonkers for 45 minutes before I realized a blown circuit had shut down the outlet powering my router.

After that, you have to think like a gopher and wonder about things like: Is the hard disk working? If you listen closely, you may be able to hear a drive in distress (clicking, grinding, or undue vibration can all be telltale signs of a hard disk fixing to bite the dust). Remove the case and put your eyes and ears to work. An inoperative cooling fan may cause components to cook like ants under a magnifying glass.

Don't overlook simple explanations, either. A dead PC could have been damaged by being knocked over or moved. Look closely for possible physical damage. Also power off the system and make sure all the internal and external cables, as well as internal cards, fit properly and securely. Then restart again with the case off and your eyes and ears peeled. Look closely at the boot screen and see if any weird errors--like a drive not found error--come up.

Tools of the Trade

Of course, your eyes and ears aren't always enough to pinpoint problems. Software programs can also help you get past pernicious PC problems. Here are a few to consider:

RegWorks: This low-cost Registry editor is tuned to guide you through routine tasks and help you solve Registry issues.

Task Manager: It's built into Windows (just right-click the taskbar and click Task Manager). Use the Processes tab to find programs that might be hogging CPU time or refusing to close, and close them out by right-clicking the app and clicking End Process. Works every time.

System Restore: It's also built into Windows XP (go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore). It takes a snapshot of your Windows configuration so you can roll back to a previous, working setup. System Restore is great for backing out of hardware upgrades or software installations gone horribly wrong.

X-Setup Pro: It's tweaker madness with this low-level utility that lets you change almost everything in your Windows setup. Great for disabling misbehaving Windows components and streamlining and securing your PC.

Hey, computers may never be 100 percent reliable, but maybe they're becoming more predictable. The reason your system acts funky is rarely mysterious--except to you. You simply need to take the proper steps and tap the World Wide Web of troubleshooting knowledge to fix what ails you.

Michael Desmond is publishing director at Bock Interactive, a Web-commerce development firm in Burlington, Vermont.

#18     Nov 24, 2005
  9. I'm a 10 year Ensign user and can tell you it is a highly supported product. It does have a major memory leak if you watch or capture a wide variety of data from numerous markets. They haven't been able to find where it comes from. What I mean by that is you can't just leave it run. You have to reboot your system daily. I never crashes though.

#19     Nov 24, 2005
  10. ES335

ES335

Does anyone know if Howard at Ensign will allow users to have full screen charts across multiple monitors?

I've searched ET and found one thread where a poster named Cazzaro was asking how to set up his charts across multiple screens. The answer he got was to 'stretch' the chart across monitors.

I tried doing that yesterday with my internet demo connection on a playback file and could not set up 2 different charts on 2 screens...

Can anyone help?

#20     Jan 4, 2006