Enron Auction: September 25 & 26

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JayS, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Where I am from, they call that a pissing contest.

#21     Sep 26, 2002
  2. jeffm

jeffm

I have been to a few auctions of failed .com assets. The story is always the same as with this enron auction. Prices are simply way too high, unless you're buying bulk. People get in the auction without doing proper research on the current market price for the stuff. Plus they tend to forget about the 10-13% premium for the auction house.

Not to mention that most auction purchases are untested, and often sight-unseen. No warranty expressed or implied. Cash on the barrelhead. If that 18" LCD you just bot has bad pixels...tough cookies for you. Auction goods should sell at a DISCOUNT to ebay type prices, not a premium.

The best deals are for those with lots of cash to spend. Not for the little guy.

One item from enron that sticks in my head was a batch of SmartUPS UPS'. These were top quality, rackmount 3000VA units. But you had to buy all 17 of them. UPS' aren't nearly as sexy as plasma screens and aeron chairs, so the winner got the whole lot for $2500 (plus 13%, plus shipping unless local). Still a heck of a deal.

#22     Sep 26, 2002
  3. rally

rally

To be honest here in the UK goods sold on ebay are way higher than new/retail prices, very similar to the enron auction:(
    I think this has happened because yahoo shut down their auctions.

#23     Sep 26, 2002