Enjoying gains...

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by TraDaToR, Apr 17, 2007.

1. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

I think I have quite a trading psychological problem and I am sure there are numerous traders having it :

I am totally mad when I lose but I am not especially happy when I am profitable. It's like I don't care of my gains, I just watch my P§L and then start doing other stuff( I am automated ).

The only times I am really implied in my results is when I lose.

For example, I run a new system since 2 1/2 weeks and it has been profitable 'til now, but since I had 3 consecutive loss days, I start being mad at it, definitly keeping more attention to it( I know, it's stupid, 3 loss days means nothing ... ). The losses I sustain are just 1/4 of the gains I made in the previous weeks.

Don't get me wrong, it has nothing to do with my methodology to start and stop a system. I know when I would stop it.

Sometimes, it 's valuable since you work harder when you lose, but I definitly have to ENJOY more my gains and have a more global approach of my trading.

Thanks for your comments.

2. Kap

Kap

hmm.. i feel much more alive when I lose big ... the gains are getting boring and just follow the plan.

3. Decide how much you should make each day. Bank it before hand.

If you don't get it then that's how much you are losing. Ignore that :p

4. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Yes, I don't know if I'm more alive but definitely more hard-working and improving when I lose. Hopefully I will one day get to your level and find gains boring. Since i'm not there, I have to balance my feelings and have a more objective, synthetic view of my P§L.

Today, I 've to think" C'mon, my system is up ... , it's not a loser". It usually happens when you go live with a new system and you expect that it will be different from the others that you're already trading.

Of course, you can ignore losses:D , but i prefer my behaviour, even if it's sometimes psychotic.

5. Kap

Kap

- when u get there, you realise proper trading is a bit boring - there are just times when you just know intuitively where we're going, and you wish it would just hurry up and get there so you can go and do something else ! I have to get my kicks else where nowadays :wtf:

6. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

a little question : What is the level of consistency you've reached to be such confident?

No losing months? weeks? days:D ?

7. Kap

Kap

- weeks, almost days. Its boring me a little, so now what ..move on to the next challenge ?.. I could increase size to bring back that tingle of risk but I know that then I would "appear on the radar" and the game would soon be up.

8. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Congrats. You seems like an experienced trader who has been around for a while. Please don't say me the contrary:D

I think that if I had such a brilliant methodology/system, I would try to take every single $ around through applying it to a lot of markets for all the years that i've been hardworking to make slow but honourable struggling money( like I am ).

9. I know exactly what you mean. As a matter of fact, I think the above is the secrete recipe for making it in day trading. It must become boring, so much so that you can take a 30 minute break and come back and make your entry because you already knew what would happen at the end of those 30 minutes. It wasn't until I started studying time seriously that I came to the above epiphany.

Well said!