Energy; what's the outlook?

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by Cuddles, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Overnight

Overnight

They said this same thing every year for the past 3 years! Morons. I wish I could get paid to spew nonsense.

#11     Aug 12, 2017
    murray t turtle likes this.
  2. Crapgame

Crapgame

Everything looking bearish. Daily chart has the price now trading below the 89EMA. TSI just crossed over to the downside. Been running upside since July. ADX low as it's been in many months. News is all bad if you're long.

The price of the OPEC basket of 14 crude varieties of its members dropped to US$49.37 a barrel on Friday from US$50.70 the previous day, OPEC said on Monday, citing OPEC Secretariat calculations.

The OPEC Reference Basket of Crudes (ORB) is made up of the following: Saharan Blend (Algeria), Girassol (Angola), Oriente (Ecuador), Zafiro (Equatorial Guinea), Rabi Light (Gabon), Iran Heavy (Islamic Republic of Iran), Basra Light (Iraq), Kuwait Export (Kuwait), Es Sider (Libya), Bonny Light (Nigeria), Qatar Marine (Qatar), Arab Light (Saudi Arabia), Murban (UAE), and Merey (Venezuela).

The ORB averaged US$49.20 per barrel in May, dropping by more than 4 percent over April, to its lowest level for 2017, as the market was range-bound and bearish for most of May despite OPEC/non-OPEC’s cuts extension, the cartel said in its Monthly Oil Market Report in June with data for May.

But then in June, oil entered a bear market, and the ORB price dropped to US$45.21 a barrel, down by 8.1 percent compared to May, to its lowest value for the year, OPEC’s oil market report with June data showed.

Short of missiles being launched it's all down from here. 45ish has some tepid resistance. It is the oil patch, so who the heck knows. Sidelines for now, licking my wounds.

#12     Aug 14, 2017
  3. Crapgame

Crapgame

#13     Aug 14, 2017
  4. %%
    LOL-predictions:D

APC gap up may or may not hold; oil stocks/sector hit so many lows, past 10 years =turn about = fair play. NOT a prediction:caution::caution:

#14     Sep 21, 2017
  5. ironchef

ironchef

Agree with you Mr. turtle. In deepwater drilling, from planning to first well takes many years so when they started to rally recently, must be the smart money are betting oil has bottomed.

#15     Oct 16, 2017
  6. bone

bone

The world is awash in supply. North America has completely altered the paradigm. I just cannot envision CL > $75. Frankly, $50 is pushing it.

Refinery capacity, that’s another matter altogether.

#16     Oct 18, 2017
  7. Trader13

Trader13

That's a good point for flat price.

Profitable energy spread trading requires volatility to get price dislocations. Any thoughts on the outlook for volatility in energies?

#17     Oct 19, 2017
  8. ET180

ET180

I think oil goes higher, but probably won't start moving until next March / April. Crude inventories have been dropping nicely recently thanks mostly to reduced imports and flattening / lowering production. Got a 5.7mm barrel draw today.

#18     Oct 19, 2017
  9. bone

bone

That’s not necessarily true. Changes in forward supply versus demand expectations will play a MUCH larger role with intramarket forward curve convexity changes than outright vol.

If your premise regarding vol and spreads were true I would just play flat price straddles and strangles and leave it at that.

#19     Oct 19, 2017
    Trader13 likes this.