End of week systems

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by newbunch, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Sorry - didn't mean to sound like I was looking for a handout, I was more interested in your perspective rather than the actual answer. I agree 100% - figuring it out oneself is the best route - you can see some of my research over at deepmarket.com.

#11     Mar 16, 2006
  2. newbunch

newbunch

When I used the word "you" I didn't mean you in particular, but just people in general. And I have no problem sharing some of my ideas (especially when I was asking for ideas from others), as long as they aren't the ideas that are the basis for my system and which I keep secret.

I'll check out your website.

#12     Mar 16, 2006
  3. maxpi

maxpi

I have some systems wherein I calculate the triggers on weekly bars. I did that so I could set things up on the weekend and trade around the 8 to 5 job. I don't have to watch it at all during the week, I just check things in the evenings briefly to make sure something weird did not happen.

I have an order that was smart routed at IB via ARCA EDGE [penny stock, I venture there occasionally]. The price reported by the exchange has gone way above my sell limit price two days running and I got no execution, I have a trouble ticket open with IB. So far that is the only hitch in the plan that has arisen.

#13     Mar 16, 2006
  4. #14     Mar 16, 2006
  5. newbunch

newbunch

Thanks. I went there and checked out some of the systems. Most don't work with SPY and TLT (either no trades or bad results). I found a few that do work, but tested them briefly in Excel and none added alpha (I hate that term) to my weekly systems. That doesn't mean they are bad system, just that they probably mimic what I'm already doing (a momentum system on WL will have to do something that my momentum indicators don't already do).

#15     Mar 16, 2006
  6. Thanks NB and other guys for the input.

I like the idea of EOW systems. As mentioned by you guys, there are certainly some good features and advantages.

Currently I plan to do a backtesting for DOW30 components using a long only EOW system. Probably picking maximum 5 stocks each week.

Here is an EOW related paper searched through Google.

Q
    Index Fund Trading with Learning Network Advisors
    Javier Echauz, University of Puerto Rico
    Vipin Ramani, Information Technology Lab., GE CR&D

http://csdl2.computer.org/persagen/...18/00/8218toc.xml&DOI=10.1109/IIS.1997.645206

http://csdl2.computer.org/persagen/...comp/proceedings/iis/1997/8218/00/8218toc.xml

A practical investment problem is defined as follows: Decide today whether to switch in or out of an S&P 500 index fund, where an initial $10,000 investment will be held for 13 weeks before making the next decision. At the end of the 13-week holding period, the process is repeated. The alternative investment is risk-free and yields a generally available compound annual rate of return of 5%. The performance of 3 strategies are compared: (1) buy-and-hold, (2) dollar-cost averaging, and (3) learning network advisors. The decisions made by the learning systems are based on at most nine inputs: the S&P 500 13-week holding-period yield at the close of today, and 8 past 13-week yields spaced 13 weeks apart. It is shown that very simple wavelet and polynomial neural networks are able to match or exceed the limit of performance implied by the Efficient Market Hypothesis as represented by the buy-and-hold strategy.

UQ

#16     Mar 23, 2006
  7. I think it's a good area because most traders don't look at weeklies. Daily bars are much noisier, and support and resistance are just places to run stops.

I have a system that works nearly as well on weekly bars as daily, but at the cost of nearly double the exposure. If you have an incredible system, of course smaller time frames are better. You compound faster. That's all it's about.

#17     Mar 27, 2006
  8. This dude used to do a free weekly report on www.safehaven.com. I believe his system is based on end-of-week as well. I'm not plugging his service (I've been around on ET enough for you to know this isn't spam) but just thought I would mention it just in case.

http://www.marketlistener.com

#18     Mar 27, 2006