End of the year P+L

Discussion in 'Forex' started by Ivanovich, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Osiris

Osiris

I was curious if some of you guys could post your typical stop losses and max drawdowns. Late Apex, i noticed on another topic that you had posted some very good (IMHO) 27pips/week results. But i was very curious about your comment of a max DD of only 10%? And the lower leverage was quite interesting... i think you mentioned between 4 and 9:1. I was thinking of starting at about only 4:1 myself. For me though, i would like to use a %risk position sizing model. I am currently trading stocks and will continue to do that .... i am just considering expanding into FX. I have not yet even put on a single real (or demo) FX trade, so I am very new to this.

Thanks guys for the responses :)

#21     Dec 21, 2005
  2. achilles28

achilles28

Good job.

#22     Dec 21, 2005
  3. OfmY

OfmY

Great job, Ivan :)

I remember what % profit you got last year and glad that the target for this year is about to be reached.

How do you say: "I love it when a plan comes together." :)

#23     Dec 21, 2005
  4. Good job Ivan! :)

#24     Dec 21, 2005
  5. It's almost my bedtime, so let me reply some time tomorrow. Between now and then, hopefully others will have something to say...

#25     Dec 21, 2005
  6. Thank you late apex.

#26     Dec 21, 2005
  7. Osiris

Osiris

Sounds good...i will be searching the threads to see if i can find any other posts about draw downs and stops, etc.

#27     Dec 22, 2005
  8. It's nice to see some others making a profits.

My Frozen REFCO account is running at 130% profit.

I have another FXCM account that is at 200% profit.

About 7K of that profit is interest. Got to love the GBP/JPY and GBP/CHF pairs!!!

BTW, I trade by looking at the following indicators:

bollinger bands
    MACD
    RSI
    Williams %

Yes, I know some of these indicators overlap. But when I see that all of them say OVER SOLD and the prices are flattening out. I buy, buy, buy.

I also do the same thing when they say OVER BOUGHT.

And as a general rule, I like to buy positive interest pairs. I've found that it's not good to go against intrest. Unless the interest is cheep, like the CHP/JPY pair.

BTW, my trades can go anywhere between a week and 3 months.

No pip scalping here.

My draw downs are generally no more that 30% of my equity.

#28     Dec 22, 2005
  9. Osiris

Osiris

Those are some very decent numbers Zone! Congrats!

What sort of leverage do you make use of? I ask just to put the 30%DD figure into some perspective. Considering the leverage and that you seem to be more of a position trader....likely giving your winning trades lots of rope, the 30% is really quite impressive. What sort of stop losses do you use, and what time frame do you use?

#29     Dec 22, 2005
  10. I'd rather not get further away from the core of this thread, by posting a detailed reply to some of the above. Instead, I'm going to start a new thread in the next couple of days, by posting a spreadsheet I've been using for almost a year. With just a few succinct comments, initially.

What it does, it translates pips earned and leverage into % returns and % drawdowns. No more and no less. Nothing fancy, but I've always found it to provide an essential framework for all my forex trading and contemplation.

#30     Dec 22, 2005