End of scalping career, before it even begun ?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Nobert, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Nobert

Nobert

This is a TDA demo account. ( 1 min timeframe mostly )

Is the difference of green area profits & red subtotals , is an impact of commisions ( 50x trades around 350 commisions , like they are already counted in/out ? )

If scalping with larger size per position & with leverage, commisions woudn't be that ,, painful'' ?

p.s.
    i know what do the real scalpers have & the disadvantages of simple retailers, i just can't find a better word to describe this type of trading

Thank you.

Screenshot (97).png

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  2. ET is not really a scalping forum space, the ave participant age is close to 100 y.o.

They likes this.
  3. Nobert

Nobert

:D
    Edit : i would delete the thread, if it's inappropriate, seems, i can't.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  4. Specterx

Specterx

Most sim platforms don't take comms into account, but some can be configured to do so (not sure about TDA).

Yes comms and slippage/spread are costs that must be overcome in live trading, and are significant if your edge per trade is small.

Nobert likes this.
  5. The fills in demo don’t exist in real trading.
    You have to account for the stock trading through your posted bid/offer if you want a live trading fill.
    You will almost always be last in line at every price level and that’s not even accounting for the four and five decimal place shaved fills going off on FINR while you sit there helplessly as the NBBO.

Just a heads up.
    Good luck.

piezoe and Nobert like this.
  6. LS1Z28

LS1Z28

My advice would be to check out the commission rates offered by different brokers. TDA charges a $7 commission per trade. Lightspeed & IB offer commissions as low as $1 on a per share basis. They're a great option if you trade with smaller size.

Nobert likes this.
  7. TommyR

TommyR

I don’t know what scalping is but I will say on timeframes you need data to be at time scale if something happens or not. So like if bid on one things changes you resize the array print everything else. On the processer cycle scale not much happens at the same time even if if you have a lot of flashing data points. Sorry but if you don’t have this you cant begin to test anything. Time sampling is a hoax

Nobert likes this.
  8. Nobert

Nobert

Well , seems that TDA demo went really innovative with this, - looks like loosing positions PNL are marked with ,, ( ) '' instead of ,, - '' ( simply a minus, as it should be ( ? ) , and the overall daily pnl, or overall account pnl doesn't turn red, neither i has a minus as well, a negative pnl remains - green o_O

winning portfolio :
    Screenshot (94).png

loosing portfolio :
    Screenshot (105).png

I was looking only to positions pnl ( wasn't looking at the chart ), without stop loss ( i had mental ), then i checked my total portfolio, like , down to $99,254 from $100,700 , but daily pnl is still green and + .

Woodo magic !

Thanks everyone for replies.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    murray t turtle likes this.
  9. %%
    I had a broker mail me some charts, when comisisons cost more; they had a good 50 day moving average on it but all 52 weeks volume was green. LOL . 99% drawdown ??After a 99 or 100% drawdown, may want to consider some thing different like real swing /position trading. {BUT negative % losses are common inside these, i record mine that way}
    TDA , if t you mean AMTD; they are good about answering the phone, good trend on the stock if one likes single stocks .NOT a prediction

10. bone

bone

Please correct me if I have the wrong impression - are you trying to quite literally 'scalp' ten different names in the same trading day ?

#10     Feb 6, 2019