Encrypting files

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by intradaybill, Jan 31, 2010.

1. kana

kana

I need about 2.5-3 days to do it, tomorrow is monday I need my computer for trading.

And honestly even if I had time to run my system for 3 days to do this, I wouldn't. Waste of my time. I already spend too much time on ET nonsense.

#11     Jan 31, 2010
  2. Then please crawl back under your rock.

#12     Jan 31, 2010
  3. kana

kana

Furthermore you are completely wrong. PGP Pretty Good Privacy program is superior especially the earlier versions.

TryCrypt is FREE which is why you use it.

But just like anything in this world, FREE usually means no good.

#13     Jan 31, 2010
  4. LOL. Pwned.

#14     Jan 31, 2010
  5. Truecrypt is open source, therefore all its algorithms are available for review and criticism.

PGP is probably good but how can you audit it to make sure there's not a back door programmed in?

#15     Jan 31, 2010
  6. kana

kana

There is hope for you yet. I had you pegged as completely ignorant.

Because you asked such a good question and made my day more hopeful on future of humanity.

I'll give you info, Version 6.0.2 of PGP does not have backdoor to NSA

Later versions of PGP DO IN FACT have NSA backdoors

very good

#16     Jan 31, 2010
  7. Don't try buttering me up to make me go away. Crack that truecrypt file and I'll declare you "da man" in this thread.

#17     Jan 31, 2010
  8. I spent hundreds of hours in three long research periods over a 4 year period trying to find the perfect security system.

I tried all of the top programs ... many were very very expensive.
    One was even the same program used by Lockheed.

After all that work here is what I have found:

The best security is:
    1) the one that you will use regularly, every time.
    2) the one that matches your needs.
    3) If you need to be secure against ultra powerful agencies then
    your security has to be intimidation and torture proof.

I came down to the following: (It is not intimidation and torture proof but it is powerful and easy.)
    1) I have a simple password to open my PC
    2) I have a notepad doc that has a pile of random data on it. It pops up on startup.
    3) I have a very easy password that I remember and I ad it to a specific location where I have a string on that notepad doc.
    4) I use that to open a large file "drive" under truecrypt.
    5) That "drive" has everything I need secure in it. It has very solid encryption and the sequence I use to access it must be followed.
    6) My Web Browser is Firefox Mobile, my web passwords is Roboform and they are also encrypted, My entire trade platform is in there ... It all fits on any 512mb flash drive.
    7) My passwords inside my trade programs are also encrypted with picocrypt as well. All my favorites are in there.
    8) I have multiple PC's and rebuild them to keep them current ...
    I simply load up a base system with truecrypt and a link to my
    password notepad doc and drop my file in and I am totally up and running.

It sounds complicated but it really isn't at all ... in fact is so super
    simple and saves tons of time on having a current update per PC.

It is nearly impossible for even a good hack to decipher my security. The multiple
    layers and methods and double and triple encryption make it so.

I do not know 98% of my passwords. I have hundreds or randomly generated passwords.
    I only need remember very little info or passwords and sequences.

My system is not intimidation or torture proof.
    That is ONLY attainable with more than one person and one must
    be inaccessible by location, emotion, pain threshold or hold on life.

So any and all ideas of having the ultimate security must account for that reality.
    Powerful agencies can crack most every single level encryption.
    Double or triple encryption, password strings on a pad, and security sequences drastically improve the
    odds that you or your life, loved ones will be threatened or your fingers broken if they really want the information.
    Depends on why ... because even with that ... a genius hack could figure it out in perhaps a month or two with some luck.

I have no real skill or stomach for those things and even I can get
    anything I would need in 10 minutes from almost anyone with a
    simple eye dropper and a certain liquid that I have readily available.
    The liquid turns out to be completely harmless after the fact.

#18     Jan 31, 2010
  9. kana

kana

Unretired you don't know jack.

Your methods will stop average people but not someone like me. As I've stated 256 - 512 bit keys that TrueCrypt uses are a joke.

Now having said that even if you were using 60 000 bit keys like me you would still be giving your information away.

Let me explain.

TEMPEST is a word given to spying based on Electromagnetic emanation that comes out of your monitor LCD or CRT.

For 5 k of equipment you can buy a at Radioshack your neighbor across the street can watch your monitor and exactly where and how you store your passwords.

And we are not even getting into topic of keyloggers and trojans.

If you had something TRULY important on your HD, NSA could even read your RAM chip data from distance of 200 meters from car 2 blocks away.

You people are completely ignorant on what is considered secure. Just be glad none of you have anything truly important to protect.

#19     Jan 31, 2010
  10. Ah but it wouldn't be a waste of your time at all. You see - no one believes a word you say at this point. You have no credibility. Go for it! Put your sophisticated decryption machines to work. Just imagine how impressed we'll all be! Time well spent dude!

#20     Jan 31, 2010