Emulating CRT monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hunter2020, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Turveyd

Turveyd

Don't see how he can see sub pixels so it's likely an OCD thing, where he thinks he can see them which annoys him, so most like!y yes!

#21     Nov 18, 2020
  2. Guys, what I'm trying to say is... Say your candlestick body is 5 pixels wide. Then on an LCD monitor it would look like ||| ||| ||| ||| ||| (||| = 1 RGB pixel). That looks really terrible like the chart is too perfect. If you focus for a long time on the chart, your eyes can't/doesn't like it.

On a CRT monitor, the 5-pixel wide candlestick body would look like ... ... ... ... ... (this is much easier on the eyes). To simulate the CRT monitor effect, we would need to do something like anti-aliasing. But the only built-in image processing effects in C# are bicubic and bilinear image resizing... Like if you stretch ||| ||| ||| ||| ||| by a bit using bicubic/bilinear algos, the resulting candlesticks look a bit softer.

Like making a jet engine's single crystal turbofan blade, there's an art/science to it or the blade won't last very long. So, the question is what is the optimal method/values to process the raw image on an LCD screen...?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    #22     Nov 18, 2020
  3. Turveyd

Turveyd

You can't change the monitors Dot pattern with code, it's hardware.

Sit further away ?

Anti Clare screen a cloudy light grey to soften the image.

Just stop looking for closely I guess.

#23     Nov 18, 2020
  4. Sig

Sig

If you're working in code you could certainly set up an algorithm that finds the edge of any straight line and then randomly removes pixels from that line to blur it. Here's a quick link of a topic on StackExchange on the subject (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/58926559/blurring-an-image-with-c). As someone who both once maintained aircraft with single crystal power turbine blades and who currently runs a software company, I can tell you this is by far the easier problem to solve!

That said, the issue is that, while I don't doubt it looks really terrible to you and your eyes don't like it, that perception is probably somewhat unique to you. So you're gonna have to do the work to code it to your liking yourself, there's little chance that someone else would have done it because it's not something most of the rest of the world seems to see as an issue.

#24     Nov 18, 2020
    apdxyk likes this.
  5. CALLumbus

CALLumbus

No need to look further:

windex.jpg

Thank me later :):thumbsup:

#25     Nov 18, 2020
    rb7 likes this.
  6. Turveyd

Turveyd

Makes the screen super blurry ?? cause there shite ??

#26     Nov 18, 2020
  7. maxinger

maxinger

It seems like your eyes are very unique / special / different.

Try looking out for the CRT monitors. You might be able to buy some old CRT monitors.

Humans have made great progress by replacing the crt with lcd monitors.
    the resolution, the image quality have improved massively.
    people used to have headaches looking at crt monitors.
    now the headache is virtually gone.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    #27     Nov 18, 2020
  8. Turveyd

Turveyd

Hated the flicker much less headaches barely code aswell I guess :(

Had 2 x 17inch crts might of been 19inch on on my desk huge heavy, massive bezels took up to much space, got 2 x 24imch and a gaming PC with space left over.

Atleast Cats didn't send CRTs flying, duct taped the LCDs to the wall :)

#28     Nov 19, 2020
  9. I don’t think we should worry about the pixels now especially for this one.

#29     Nov 20, 2020
  10. Turveyd

Turveyd

Sub Pixels, that make up Pixels :)

#30     Nov 20, 2020