Employment while trading

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by MZG, Dec 31, 2010.

1. MZG

MZG

I have a question. When you trade full time for a couple of years. Would you write that as employment in your CV. Would that be counted as employment history? What if you were to apply for a job, would your firm be counted as current employer? And how any future employer can verify your current employer and how much salary you make?

2. If you are re-entering the workforce after a stint of self-employment as a trader, get your resume professionally done. Likely it wouldn't make it past HR the way you seem to be suggesting it is currently.

People these days are looking for reasons not to hire people, rather than the other way around.

I think this issue highlights why you should always have something else going on while you are a self-employed trader, because it hurts you when you go back into the workforce.

3. Yes, put trading down as employment history as employers hate to see huge gaps of not employment activity

to confirm your prior trading activity you can do the following:

1. use the prop firm llc's compliance manager to confirm your dates of time trading. (contact the compliance officer/office admin to confirm the correct dates and let them know they will need to confirm dates you were with the LLC) If you were a member of a typical LLC prop model firm you are not considered "an employee" but a member etc

2. you can confirm trading dates with tax returns etc. if you were retail you will probably need to confirm your trading dates with IRS tax returns. If you were retail you will want to put title as "Equities Trader" while with a prop firm you can put the name of prop firm/LLC

Tax returns will also work as if you are from a Prop firm.

hope this helps!

4. rosy2

rosy2

in my experience they ask for paycheck stubs to verify salary and bonus.