Employment Study from Johns Hopkins University (12/2006)

Discussion in 'Economics' started by trainee2006, Dec 26, 2006.

1. A study released a little over a week ago from Johns Hopkins shows that 7.2% of the US workforce is employed by Charities. That's more than 9.4 million paid workers; more than construction (7.1 million), Wholesale Trade (5.6 million), and utilities (0.8 million)

New York, California and Pennsylvania are at the Vangard with the highest number. The biggest sector is the Health care industry, followed by education and social assistance.

Here is the link:
    http://www.jhu.edu/~ccss/research/pdf/Employment in Americas Charities.pdf

Okay everyone, what do you think about this?

B

2. We fit in that category and we are swinging staff from one location into the NFP organization we also run.

Health care and health delivery is in deep do do .

One thing that you do not recognize is that a lot (most) of LTC is done by NFP's simply because this is the home of last resort for the elderly who need to be taken care of.

A lot of the homeless are taken care of in this maner too; their health care component is very large. Death in the early 40's is common.

Finally, you may want to consider the other half of health care, the mental care aspect of it. Years ago the facilities for mental health care were systemmatically closed down. Medications were substitutued for these prior services of the government. Now, people who have mental health problems are helped out by NFP's who serve local communities. Often they become hoeless as well.

The overall support system failed a while back and, simply stated, "entitlements" owed are now larger than the value in total of all stocks and bonds. Taxtion in the future will not suffice.

As this effect came into being, the system started to shut down. What comes into being to deal is the grass roots where people build NFP's to get the job done. The rich support this, the middle class is shrinking into the rich and the poor. The poor often do not even have entitlements and the rich are deemed ineligible these days.

As you can see there have now been two and 1/2 Nobel Prizes that address this. Modigliani and Yunus. The half does to the economic experimentor but he did not dip into the NFP land.

We are "inventing" a specific model right now. We will have volunteers to whom we give capital. They will spent time making it grow and the growth will be put into the services needed in many categories. As we make a record, it will be cloned elsewhere.

Our desire is to be ale to create an "econometric" "substitution" effect for the upcoming failure of entitlements.

We feel we can compress the time of sourse/application by 35 years as regards the "float" of the current US model. That is we can create a 30 year old's payments into entitilements into 3 times in current dollars and apply them the following year (2007) instead of 2041 as about the .35 present alue they would be worth.

The public does not know or understand what is going on throughout the world today.

If a person can take 27 dollars and cover the debts of 47 families in poverty and keep them out of poverty for the rest of their lives, then what could have 530 billion dollars done this year to help the planet out.

Anyone born has the ability to live a good life if not for the circumstances of his family. as a person grow and is not poverty ridden, then he does not turn to terror against the "HAVES". The HAVES are going to begin to do "social investing". This does not mean giving money to NFP's necessarily. What is does mean is "investing in stock" and not expecting dividend nor a profit and definitely not a loss of capital. It could mean volunteering to manage capital so the capital makes money for the money stream needed to end poverty.

Today, the conventonal is changing by many forces to solve problems. I like the realization of Time, Inc when it figured out that the media is no longer controlled by meadia corps but, instead, the people who use interactive media.

What would it be like if a person gave the average micro loan needed to take a family out of poverty. 95% of micro loans are given to women with children and there is no default rate.

The average loand for about 20 years to get this stuff going is a tick on a contract of ES.

I am a person who is raising the % of employment for NFP's. I need coordinators of volunteer traders for capital. I need a tick production crews worldwide.

The global electronic network has done more than people think it has. NGO's are going to solve the problems. Micro loans and economics is going to end a lot of the problems that begin with poverty. One aspect of that is starting to drain the huge capital pools that focus on profits only and do not even know what "social investing" is. Hot shot traders all over the world are going to step up and show the financial industry how to get the job done. NGO'sare NFP's. NFP's can make moneyas fast as it is available and then immediately spend it into problem solving.

One ES tick takes a family out of poverty permanently, the record shows. Making ticks is going to be more fun than ever before.

8% of the top grads are now going into teaching for a few years. I think the single recruiter of them can also throw in a training program on trading. I think they new graduates are the kind of people who can trade capital that they are given and trade their own early savings from their first jobs. Wherever they teach they can have a mentor to help them trade.

Smart young people can trade smart. They can teach smart too. They can skip the war stuff too.

I believe all the young people of the world can talk to each other and video to each other and learn to help solve global problems.

Just make a note that the NFP's are hiring. They do not pay taxes and the money that would have been taxed is working very hard to solve problems.

I can suggest to anyone who is trading that trading to make money for the people who need a micro break in life is a very good way to learn to trade effectively and efficiently and very happily.

Up with people.

3. what about military and military contractors? is there a number for those workers? i imagine it is quite high.

4. Jack:
    I worked at a very large philanthropic foundation in New York a number of years ago and, being previously employed at brokerage firms and banking environments, I had several scary realizations while at the foundation:
    1. The organizational climate there could best be classified as leisurely. There was no sense of urgency about anything happening anywhere. The words "deadline," or "timetable" where absent from most of their procedures, except on grant applications.
    2. There was no substantive accountability for any of their projects and initiatives. Execution was monitored cursorily and there was no follow-up once funding ran out, or more commonly, once media attention dissipated.
    3. The foundation attracted staff and volunteers with a philosophically self-destructive mind set i.e. "one can only strengthen the weak by weakening the strong." This line of thinking and all of its ancillaries are what I believe to be the root of dysfunctional NGO/NFP's.
    The above organizational trinity was a factor in my quickly sending out my updated resume once I saw what was going on.
    I think there can be a bright future for NFP's/NGO's but the first things that have to be given the yo-heave are the above characteristics.