Employers Prefer Hiring From State Schools???????????

Discussion in 'Economics' started by misterno, Sep 13, 2010.

1. I'm guilty. Undergrad private education was in Philosopy ,Politcal and Economic Theory....

Never finished the "Theory" intensive UofC.

Best education I ever had....was in liberal arts. I learned all my "Financial World" traits OJC baby! (on the job cost: meaning fucking up and loosing million dollar deals as a rookie.)

You can't teach a person how to raise millions in capital. You can teach the basic idea of "sales". But in the end, you need to have the ability to speak knowledgeable about 1000s of topics other than Numbers. You have to build trust and relationships through communication and sincere understanding.

The numbers crunching can be accomplished by some backroom "EDUCATED" business major. You just have to understand how he got his numbers.

That is the game of making millions in the M&A and Capital Rasing Business.

#11     Sep 13, 2010
  2. On the contrary, there was a well-publicized study that when they checked males after 10+ years in industry, there was almost no difference in earnings between those educated at Ivy League vs. other universities

#12     Sep 13, 2010
  3. These guys suggest about 20%:

http://www.payscale.com/best-colleges/top-us-colleges-graduate-salary-statistics.asp

That's comparing a middle-of-the-pack state school like University of Michigan to a middle of the pack ivy like Yale.

Of course, how much of that is industry bias and cost-of-living compensation is difficult to tease out. In any case, whether it's 0%, 10%, or 20% the point is that any company that wants ivy leaguers can get them at fairly small premium. It's just that companies outside of the east coast don't particularly want them.

#13     Sep 13, 2010
  4. Schools cannot give you a permanent official record, but your experience in them can affect the rest of your life - for better or worse.

http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/underground/prologue2.htm

#14     Sep 13, 2010
  5. Is not just about money. It is lifetime prestige and the gateway entrance into the new overclass.

Top jobs in federal government departments, The right legal clerkships that guarantee a career, the glamor industries like entertainment, the top editorial jobs, Wall Street Access. In other words Ivy league gets you into the game with regards to POWER and for many power is much more important than money.

#15     Sep 13, 2010
  6. Illinios, Purdue, Georgia Tech, Carnegie Mellon in the top 10 - these are top-flight engineering schools. I suspect that has something to do with the results, as the Ivies are rather under-represented in that area.

#16     Sep 13, 2010