Employers Prefer Hiring From State Schools???????????

Discussion in 'Economics' started by misterno, Sep 13, 2010.

1. So why are people paying so much for ivy league?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...06372718.html?mod=WSJ_Careers_CareerJournal_2

U.S. companies largely favor graduates of big state universities over Ivy League and other elite liberal-arts schools when hiring to fill entry-level jobs, a Wall Street Journal study found.

Jennifer Merritt discusses a new Wall Street Journal survey, which reveals recruiters are shifting their attention away from elite private schools to focus instead on state universities.
    .In the study—which surveyed 479 of the largest public and private companies, nonprofits and government agencies—Pennsylvania State University, Texas A&M University and University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign ranked as top picks for graduates best prepared and most able to succeed.

Of the top 25 schools as rated by these employers, 19 were public, one was Ivy League (Cornell University) and the rest were private, including Carnegie Mellon and University of Notre Dame.

The Journal research represents a systematic effort to assess colleges by surveying employers' recruiters—who decide where to seek out new hires—instead of relying primarily on measures such as student test scores, college admission rates or graduates' starting salaries. As a group, the survey participants hired more than 43,000 new graduates in the past year.

The recruiters' perceptions matter all the more given that employers today are visiting fewer schools, partly due to the weak economy. Instead of casting a wide net, the Journal found, big employers are focusing more intently on nearby or strategically located research institutions with whom they can forge deeper partnerships with faculty.

The Journal study didn't examine smaller companies because they generally don't interact with as many colleges. In addition, the survey focused on hiring students with bachelor's as opposed to graduate degrees.

The research highlighted a split in perception about state and private schools. Recruiters who named an Ivy League or elite liberal-arts school as a top pick say they prize their graduates' intellect and cachet among clients, as well as "soft skills" like critical thinking and communication. But many companies said they need people with practical skills to serve as operations managers, product developers, business analysts and engineers. For those employees—the bulk of their work force—they turn to state institutions or other private schools offering that.

2. Public companies want robots, sheep, people they can churn and burn, Matric style batteries. SUCKERS!

Hence, them hiring state school grads.

Private Industry, like free thinkers, risk takers, and those who think outside the box for the most part, Private University grads.

3. I heard somewhere that only 4% of all US employers care if you went to an ivy league school.

4. Might be true about EMR's points.

I'll add my two cents. Most public schools (key word here "most") offer more practical majors; i.e. alot of smaller private schools are still stuck in the liberal arts scope of study. Therefore, it's probably far more likely that a state school grad will have a degree in business administration, finance, accounting, marketing, etc...Doesn't even begin to address majors in engineering and such as well.

On the flipside, most of your private school grads (whether Eastern elite or wherever) will graduate with less practical degrees in philosophy, history, political science, psychology, etc, etc...

Perhaps, also if an employer offers to assist with student debts, the comparison between a state school tuition and a private school tuition enter into the equation.

All speculation of my part however.

5. I'd believe it. It's heavily concentrated on the East coast and most specifically Wall Street. Outside of that, I don't believe the Ivy League is as big of a deal as many assume.

6. I think the Ivy League fixation is almost entirely an east coast and wall street thing. It's more about "our kind of people" than any intellectual edge on the part of those graduates.

I got my engineering degrees from the best of the state schools where I grew up, and I never regretted that decision. Because the tuition was reasonable I was able to cover all but about $10K by working, and I had savings to cover that. So I graduated with no debt, money in the bank, and marketable degrees. I've never had anyone question my college credentials on the basis of where I went to school.

7. That 4% "sliver" contains the largest employers who have the money to meet the salary expectations of graduates from "top-tier" schools. Joe Schmo Public Relations Inc. in Kokomo can't attract nor retain those grads. :cool:

8. Speaking of education...whatever happened to that "permanent record" that my 2nd grade teacher told me was going to follow me around for the rest of my life? No employer has ever brought up that time I hit the kid in the head with the rubber dodge ball, or jumped off the swings when I was 7.

9. 377OHMS

377OHMS

I've had a young lady helping me the last year or so. She has a graduate degree in electrical engineering from Cornell (she is our CPA lol).

To replace her I would have to hire 2-3 people with Cal-State degrees and then send them to charm school to learn how to stop drooling. They seem to have trouble doing "math in public".

We look for people from private schools all other considerations being equal. Not necessarily Ivy League but USC, Stanford, Harvey Mudd etc. I personally think UCLA is good but we don't hire them because they lack lab work (too theoretical).

The exception is some public schools around chicago and champaign-urbana. They seem to churn out bright people and we hire them when we can. Purdue is good too.

Just sayin...

10. That's ridiculous. Generally speaking ivy league students command about a 20% premium in terms of mid-career salary with the same degree when compared to the flagship state schools. Much of that is due to cost-of-living since northeastern companies have more ivy leaguers and the northeast has a higher cost of living. So the real difference is probably more like 10-15%. In other words any company that wants to can hire 10% fewer people and have them all be Yale grads. Most companies have chosen not to do so.

#10     Sep 13, 2010