EMKR is the new SPIRE!

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by stonedinvestor, Dec 12, 2007.

1. What do you see for the future of this stock? Granted it seems a bit late to get on the boat, but what about the future?

#21     Feb 7, 2008
  2. EMKR has a few things going for it, this is a company who have a fiber optic semi unit that really dogged out and went from $70 mln in sales to a loss on eps... but that all changed when they instantly got all those sales back making an $80 mln acquisition. A result of that company’s purchasing the fiber-optic assets of Intel (INTC) .. The big sex appeal is in their other division the solar and here there is the benefit I believe of being based here in the states. Most Chinese solar plays will be having delays the result of shutdowns with all the snow.

The reaction to earnings today was huge so I would have to say the street is siding with the co now despite whatever bad management skills they may have displayed in the past. Tomorrow it would be a nice pickup on a retrace, I'm looking at EMKR & SIGM in the same light tomorrow.
    ~stoney

#22     Feb 7, 2008
  3. here's a little more... I'm still debating... But I am 99% sure I buy this afternoon and this is a very good name to own for 08'. As always price entry is important and it's just had a huge run... then again it fell a bit before that...

(EMKR) Emcore: Merriman says EMKR reported F1Q08 results and discussed guidance and plans for FY08 and FY09, all of which served to both support our sum-ofparts methodology in valuing the company, given clear plans to spin off the solar unit, and also enhance the value of both the fiber optic and solar PV segments. In optics, strong near-term broadband performance and the inclusion of the Intel acquisition in firm's estimates drive an increased value per share. In solar, despite a near-term rev shortfall, very large recent contract announcements drive an increased estimate of value from previous levels as well.

#23     Feb 8, 2008
  4. Since this covers all stoney stocks I thought I'd add it as well found it on the net not sure where I think Schaefers reserach-

we saw that solar stocks were seeing some money flow back into them. I was just looking over the list of today's strongest stocks and see some other names that could (loosely) fit under the "alternative energy" umbrella - Echelon Corporation (ELON), EMCORE Corporation (EMKR), and Energy Conversion Devices, Inc. (ENER). If you aren't familiar with these companies, here are the firms describes themselves -

* Echelon says its "products are used as the foundation of an energy-efficient infrastructure..."
    * EMCORE offers they are "one of the leading suppliers of highly efficient radiation hard solar cells for space power applications..."
    * Energy Conversion Devices declares they are "a technology, product development and manufacturing company engaged in the invention, engineering, development, and commercialization of new materials, products, and production technology in the fields of alternative energy technology and information technology..."

In terms of their action today, all three of the stocks are up more than 10% with ELON gaining nearly 20%. However, as the daily charts below show, these three equities have fared somewhat differently in recent weeks.

All three stock turned lower at the end of December and sold off for much of January. EMCORE was able to find support near 10 while Echelon and Energy Conversion Devices both broke support. With today's push, shares of ENER are back above support while shares of ELON still have to contend with the 16 level.

In the post I linked to above about solar stocks, the point I made was that we were seeing some money flow back into the former "momentum" names. Since that post, however, those stocks have pulled back. Now we are seeing the money try to jump on what I would consider to be the "second tier momentum" names from the alternative energy area.

If we are going to see the alternative energy group bounce back, I think we need to see some leaders emerge. I thought that was what was happening earlier in the week but now it seems the money may just be rotating around through group. At this point, I think the best course of action may be to take a wait and see approach and keep an eye on how/if today's strength holds.

#24     Feb 8, 2008