emini scalper's question

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by alanack, Apr 24, 2003.

1. What are you defining as a "scalp" and "1 point"?

Scalping is taking the spread between the bid/offer on an order. In the case of the Emini a min. point fluctuation is .25 or $12.50.

I would hazard to guess most Large "scalpers" in the BIG SP or Emini SP our trying to take .25 or .50 point out on a trade. NOT 1 or 2 points! They are scalping order flow.

You guys who are saying that you are trying to take 1 or 2 points out of the market in 1 or 5 or 10 mins, that's not scalping, its taking a position, be it a short term position, I like to use the term "swing trading".

Scalping is taking the spread on order flow!

#21     Apr 30, 2003
  2. there are lots of definitions of scalping. thanks for telling us yours.

#22     Apr 30, 2003
  3. Momento

Momento

Thanks for sharing.

#23     Apr 30, 2003
  4. Momento

Momento

I think 2 -3 pts trades would definitely still fall into the scalping category, and definitely not a swing.

a one minute swing? come on...

#24     Apr 30, 2003
  5. nitro

nitro

I agree that it is not scalping, but it is NOT swing trading either. I would call it momentum trading, but that is not quite accurate either.

nitro

#25     Apr 30, 2003
  6. sorry for the newbie question but could someone please tell me how much capital (without margin) is required for:

1 contract of the emini s&p
    1 contract of the emini nasdaq

and also, how much profit is .25 point movement in each of the sp and nasdaq?

thanks for bearing with me.
    DNAJ65000

#26     May 1, 2003
  7. pretzel

pretzel

Here's a snapshot preview of the excel file.

pretzel

#27     May 1, 2003

8. dna,

i am not sure what you mean by "without" margin. www.daytrade4less.com offers 500.00 margin for emini nasdaq, sp, and djia contracts.

best,

surfer:)

#28     May 1, 2003
  9. prox

prox

I look for moves that can get at least 3 points and consider any move that goes +2 in my direction a winner. Anything less is considered no followthrough.

Hold time anywhere from 10 min to 5 hrs.

#29     May 1, 2003
  10. re Scalping, CMEs definition:

Scalp
    To trade for small gains. Scalping normally involves establishing and liquidating a position quickly, usually within the same day, hour or even just a few minutes.

pretty loose, huh....

ik

#30     May 1, 2003