Emini Pivot Points

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by brad1970, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Hi richk...just futures and primarily the ES emini.

Today, I had seven trades in the ES and squeaked
    by with $153.00 after commish trading 1 contract.

Just couldn't catch a strong move...:(

#11     Sep 16, 2002
  2. jasper6

jasper6

I am trying to trade the ES with support and resistance in conjunction with time of day.

I am using floor pivots calculated with yesterdays high, low and close. I also use daily price lines that include the open as well as yesterday's high, low and close. In addition, I have the Trade Prospector (http://www.trade-prospector.com) calculated SR numbers.

Today, the ES rose to touch yesterday's close (891.25) near 10:00 EST. It then sold off to below the S1 (880.92). It stopped and reversed almost exactly at the TP BP2/First Lower Stop (878.6-878.7) near 11:00 EST.

It went back through the S1 and chopped its way to just above yesterday's close between 15:30-16:00 EST.

An astute trader could have taken two trades for approximately 10 points each.

Not being an astute trader, I stood aside and watched the market chop all day and took no trades.

My question is - what criteria do you use to decide that SR has held or broken? Do you just put a limit order at the SR expecting a reverse and then place a stop on the other side? Bottomline, when do you pull the trigger?

What's a reasonable stop to use for this type of trading with the ES? Many traders seem to use 1.5-2 points, but that looks way too tight for this type of trading.

I will say one benefit of this method appears to be that you won't be getting constantly suckered by all the gyrations between the SR points.

#12     Sep 16, 2002
  3. Hubert

Hubert

9:30-4:15

#13     Sep 24, 2002