Email notification links when subscribed: Do NOT send link to "newpost"

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by uexkuell, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Firsts thanks for keeping up ET.

Here comes a tiny suggestion for improving the subscription service:

When being subscribed to a thread and a new message appears in the thread the board daemon sends a message that looks like this:

Hello uexkuell,

XXXXX has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - XXXXXX - in the Educational Resources forum of Elite Trader's message board.

This thread is located at:
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=XXXXX&goto=newpost

This is helpful and ok if I have been away only for a short period of time and there were not so many posts after I looked into the thread.

When I have been away for some time (vacation or whatever) or if there were many posts since my last visit I have a hard time to recapitulate where the last post is located that I read.

Therefore my suggestion would be to always send with the notice a link to the precise last post that was made, not a link to "newpost" which will just always be the last in the thread.

2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

"newpost" takes you to the first unread post since your last visit, not necessarily the last post in a thread. Any posts that are new will have a little yellow page icon beside the date of the post.

3. Thanks for answering.

I got the impression that unfortunately it does not work this way.

I'll try to send an example as soon as this happens again.