Elon Musk Internet with latency under 20

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by birdman, Sep 10, 2020.

1. vanzandt

vanzandt

Depending on how this whole Covid thing plays out, along with our current degree of social unrest, there's another interesting aspect to this.

Covid has proven that working remotely can and will work. Its also fast-forwarded and ushered in lots of tech that makes working from home more reliable and secure. I mean in a way, Covid bumped us at least 5 years in this regard. In the matter of 6 months.

One of the primary reasons there hasn't been a large migration to rural areas is in fact due to

1)lack of high paying jobs
    2)crappy school systems
    3) crappy medical options.

This could change much of that.

We might see, down the road at least, a migration of affluent families out of the big cities and into more rural, safer, and lower cost small towns.

I always say, buy quality land an hour or so outside the major metro's. This is more impetus to this line of thought imo. The more acreage the better. Plant hardwoods if you have nothing better to do.

It will take time for all of the above to manifest, but It will happen and rest assured long after one's gone, the grandchildren will herald the vision.

Buy land.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    #31     Sep 10, 2020
    birdman likes this.
  2. Turveyd

Turveyd

"Should be!", therefore permission granted, obviously they aren't as they keep getting shot.

On Average most will be lesser educated and there ownly options are crime, stealing or selling drugs which puts them at a higher risk as high risk occupations.

And as most police officer shootings are from black people, there quite rightly a bit trigger happy.

#32     Sep 10, 2020
  3. destriero

destriero

Hey gramps, did you forget your meds? This is a thread about StarLink. Put your teeth back in and grab an Ensure.

#33     Sep 10, 2020
    themickey, maxima120, VicBee and 2 others like this.
  4. rb7

rb7

They've analyzed this and they found that the fastest a human can react is 10ms. Starting blocks for the 100m dash are configured to detect a false start when a guy react under 10ms.
    Ben Johnson was well known to have a very fast reaction time.

#34     Sep 10, 2020
  5. albion

albion

Latency measures a round trip. Musk's internet may bypass some of the internet, but doubtful it will replace all pathways from one web server to another. Therefore, you will still be dependent upon terrestrial connectivity for parts of what you are trying to connect to. No doubt brokers will find ways to leverage this kind of connectivity. But as has been mentioned our mental latency is greater than most existing internet latency. So, this is mostly marketing. On the other hand, if it bypasses download/upload limits that will be good for many. I have Gigabit internet here so I'm set.

#35     Sep 10, 2020
    apdxyk likes this.
  6. albion

albion

Ah, just read the article. The OP confused PING with latency. PING is one way and in speed tests often just tests the connection time to one server directly (and so not really real world). Latency is round trip and in many online tests is real world passing through any number of servers on the way to a test destination and back (which leads to relatively much higher time values. The PING values in the article at 18-19ms are good but average for those of us with good connections. I get 8-10 ms here.

#36     Sep 10, 2020
  7. Overnight

Overnight

Funny, I thought latency was a condition, and ping the tool used to ascertain that condition.

#37     Sep 10, 2020
    rb7 likes this.
  8. wartrace

wartrace

What I am hoping for with Starlink (SpaceX/Elon Musk internet) is a reliable connection in my rural area. I will probably continue to back it up with a 4G connection but right now I am paying 160 dollars per month for two 4G services AND additional cost for a VPS server. If I could get reliable starlink service it would cut my costs in half or better.

Another thing I would find advantageous is the ability to move to an extremely rural area if starlink works. I know rural living isn't for everyone but the further I am away from people the more relaxed I feel.

#38     Sep 10, 2020
  9. Turveyd

Turveyd

I can ping CNN at 12ms guessing that'll be a US server from the US, Elitetrader 112ms, most things are 12ms.

Thought Ping was Round trip, send get a response and receive??

But still much faster at the north pole than you'd get currently, wonder what the upload speed will be, most sattelite systems in the UK used to use Phone like 28Kbs for up and Sattelite fast for down.

#39     Sep 10, 2020
  10. Turveyd

Turveyd

Few solar panels and trade on the top of Everest.

#40     Sep 10, 2020