Elon Musk Internet with latency under 20

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by birdman, Sep 10, 2020.

1. destriero

destriero

I wasn't aware that LEO could result in a sub-30 latency. That's amazing. Terrestrial will hit 10Gbit in the next three years, so it's not going head to head in urban areas.

#11     Sep 10, 2020
  2. The best I can get that isn't data capped (current satellite net is trash anyway) is DSL that I had to bludgeon the local ISP for because of how far out I am. FINALLY the main engineer hooked it up for us in private at risk of his own job. Wouldn't even let me buy him a meal or anything.

Like I said - life changing here.

#12     Sep 10, 2020
    birdman likes this.
  3. Hughes satellite service? They advertise it as "available everywhere" @ 25 Mbps.

#13     Sep 10, 2020
  4. birdman

birdman

A second speed test returned speeds of 0.88 and 0.22 but that is my back up rig. I most often trade using a Verizon Mobile Hotspot which allows somewhat better speeds (most of the time). I'm still hopeful that Starlink will be a better solution. Verizon download speed will range from 3.0 to 29.0

#14     Sep 10, 2020
    Relentless likes this.
  5. Hughes is trash for a multitude of reasons I won't go into. That's why most of these older satellite internet tech companies had to consolidate.

#15     Sep 10, 2020
  6. Turveyd

Turveyd

Nope, but have googled, no thinking there just change colour and click I had mouse pressure on so 1gram more and click, gaming experience.

Helps in fights, nobody gets a punch through to me, they punch I block, I return they run away.

#16     Sep 10, 2020
  7. As low as 20ms in some beta testing - but still in early stages of course. It's going to take time to iron everything out. I imagine they will have problems to deal with at the point they open it to the masses because of the huge draw on the system.

Bunch of smart people over there at Starlink - they'll figure it out.

#17     Sep 10, 2020
    VPhantom likes this.
  8. birdman

birdman

I know a guy who has traded with Hughs Satellite service. It will reach the speeds they claim, but will have outages in rain similar to DirectV tv service.

#18     Sep 10, 2020
  9. Turveyd

Turveyd

I had 0.50mps when I first had broadband 19years ago, used to take all night to download a "24" episode bad times, think I've got 350mps currently, got 7 users on it mind with next door streaming TV.

I drop to 4G for games normally, more reliable.

#19     Sep 10, 2020
  10. I'd just run off 5G but no towers here yet either unfortunately.

#20     Sep 10, 2020